sweet potato and chickpea curry without coconut milk

Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, use a potato masher to mash them into a thick paste. I added both chickpeas and shrimp which I let sit in curry and a few other spices for added flavor. This was fantastic! Serve with rice or naan. Or you can also sub in almond or oat milkalthough the curry will be much less creamy and considerably thinner. Add in the diced onion and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tomatoes and coconut milk. Stir in the broth, coconut milk, and chickpeas. Im new to cooking Indian food but love all the ingredients in this recipe! Add sweet potato, capsicum / bell pepper, carrot and chickpeas to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Thank you for a delicious recipe! Cozy, warm, 100% plant-based sweet potato chickpea curry is made in 1-pan and is great for family dinners, meal prep and the colder weather. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, and coconut milk. It was a perfect comfort food and the lemon really brightened it up. Instructions. Curry powder can vary greatly and can really change the taste of this curry. Your email address will not be published. Hi can I use regular diced tomatoes if I cant find the diced ones? Follow with garlic, ginger, and spices (curry, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper). Its a quick, easy, vegetarian (also vegan), gluten-free, flavor-packed meal thats easy to customize with whatever veggies and greens you have on hand. Hi Amy, Thank you for this amazing recipe!! Add in the coconut milk and stir again. Add salt and pepper to taste, then cover the pan and let the sweet potatoes cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. I can hardly wait until tomorrow so I can have leftovers! I'm Paris! It's served with fresh tomato soup using our Watermelon Whole Plant Juice Tonic! Cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time. This is my absolute favorite dish/recipe!! Your recipes never fail. Add some stock if it starts to stick. Then add in lime juice, spinach, salt and pepper to taste. It was SOOO GOOD! The Best Curry Without Coconut Milk Recipes on Yummly | Mushroom Curry Roti, Winter Comfort Bowl With Curry-spiced Chickpeas, Chicken Curry . For veggies I used: chick peas, carrots, sweet potato, regular potato and peas. You can substitute the vegetable broth for oat milk for a creamier curry. OUTSTANDING flavors and textures!!! Id stir through coconut milk (to taste) at the end of cooking. Stir well. Stir to combine. Will make it again and thanks for all that you do. HEALTHY comfort food that tastes AMAZING!! Will make this again. Used chicken stock and used all curry my garam masala was old and only tiny bit left. We used a mix of veggie broth, whole milk and water instead of oat milk. I do love coconut milk in a curry so trying to think of how to use it here. Saute onion and garlic. Add vegetables such as sweet potato, cauliflower, squashes, root vegetables after pressure cooking for 35 mins. Hi Linda, I havent tried this with coconut milk. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Thanks for the yummy recipe for my weeknight arsenal. 3. Peel and dice the sweet potato into 3 cm cubes and put into the slow cooker along with the drained chickpeas. I only had light coconut milk, but I had some half-n-half so subbed about a half cup of that for the oat milk! Instructions. Added cilantro at the end and a squeeze of lime! Prep: 15 mins Cook: 20 mins Total: 35 mins Servings: 8 cups (4 to 6 servings) Ingredients 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 medium yellow onion 3 cloves minced garlic about 1 tablespoon Step 4. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or medium-size saucepan over medium heat. ~ South-African living in the Netherlands :), Im a Vegan and have IBS. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the curry powder, garam masala and chili powder. Our toddler loved it, which is pretty much our defining standard at the moment!! free recipe newsletter to Drain and add them to the curry when the recipe calls for canned chickpeas. The sweet potato adds a delicious sweetness which complements the spices perfectly. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Jul 16, 2022 / by Paris / This post may contain affiliate links. Add in the broth or water, lentils, sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt, and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. We did half of the lemon, to taste. Followed the recipe but I used heavy cream cause I wanted a richer texture and I didnt have any oat milk or stock anyway. What can one substitute if they do not want to use coconut oil due to its saturated fat content? Meanwhile finely chop the onion, crush the garlic and peel and dice the sweet potatoes to 1cm cubes. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Made this for dinner, it was a beautiful plate of deliciousness!!! Instagram. Some also have added sugar which I personally avoid. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a very low simmer. Outstanding! Garlic and ginger Fresh garlic and ginger are always best in this kind of curry, but you can use the stuff in a jar or a garlic ginger paste if you like. Heat a large pan over medium heat and melt the coconut oil. Expert Tips Aromatics: Cook your onion, ginger, and garlic with the sweet potato and bell pepper to save time. I made as written except instead of the plant-based milk, I used unsalted chicken broth, as I am not vegetarian and had an open carton. Cover the skillet, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Defrost it overnight in the fridge before reheating. 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained. Serve this creamy plant-based curry over rice or with naan for a fuss-free yet delicious midweek dinner. Add around 2 cups of the chickpea stock. 8. I added cumin seeds which brought it to another level. This sweet potato and chickpea curry can be frozen for up to 3 months. Cook and stir until spices are well absorbed by the onion, about 2 minutes. Stir well, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, put the lid on the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. This delicious Sweet Potato Chickpea Coconut Curry recipe is super simple to make, its naturally gluten-free and vegan, and its simmered with the coziest creamy coconut curry flavors. Freezer & kid-friendly. I also added some cumin and sprinkled with cilantro when served. Made this delicious dish last night and it is a new family favorite! This sweet potato chickpea curry with tomato is simmered in coconut milk and only uses one pot. I cut mine roughly 1cm cubes, if you make them bigger then the curry will need longer simmering to ensure the potatoes are cooked. Sweet potatoes Cut the sweet potatoes into -inch cubes so they cook quickly. Add a little water if sauce is too thick. Your email address will not be published. I started on a Low Fodmap diet on 13 January 2020 so its been just over a year to so I changed this recipe to use Asafoetida (Hing), used my homemade curry powder and used normal chopped tinned tomatoes but added some chilli flakes. Instructions. Boil a little or let wilt in the residual heat. You can freeze this curry for up to 3 months. I am not keen on sweet potatoes, could one use normal white or reds ? Add the steamed sweet potatoes and the chickpeas to the coconut curry. Add the chickpeas and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. How to Make Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry with Pumpkin and Chickpeas - Step by Step Prep ingredients. I cook easy peasy vegan food with simple and wholesome ingredients. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Made this for lunches for the week. Place in a bowl, cover with cold water, and stir in baking soda. Add sweet potatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk to the skillet and stir to combine. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Absolutely delicious. Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 25 minutes Total Time 35 minutes An EASY one-skillet sweet potato curry that's ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors!! 4. We also started with about 25% of the spices and then added to taste to make sure it wouldnt be too spicy for our daughter. Mix all the spices except salt in a bowl. Soak and cook the dried chickpeas separate from the curry. This is the best Sweet Potato Chickpea curry Ive ever made, its delicious. Add sweet potato, carrot, and coconut milk. Such a rich meld of flavors in this dish! Really enjoyed. 1) Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add salt and pepper (I added a lot of salt, almost a tablespoon). Just put all ingredients, except for the spices and spinach, in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add the chilli, ginger, coriander stalks and sweet potato to the softened onion. Add the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. I can eat this three days a week. Bring the curry to a boil, and then reduce to medium-low so that the mixture continues to simmer for 10 to 12 more minutes. Add 200ml of water and bring to the boil. Coconut oil You can also use avocado oil or olive oil instead. I see other people in the comments have used it too. 3) Next, add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan and lightly season the mix with salt and pepper. Also, I got some light colored sweet potatoes in my CSA that were so dry and hard you almost couldnt eat them. Remove chicken from pan. Would coconut milk still cook the sweet potatoes like stock would ? This was easy and delicious! Simmer until flavors are well combined, about 20 minutes. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato and continue to stir for a further two mins. Reheat the curry on the stovetop or in the microwave until piping hot. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes begin to soften. Add the oil, onion, pepper, garlic, cumin seeds and mustard seeds to a large pot over medium heat. Set aside to reach room temperature before storing in a freezer-safe container. My family loves it and it will be a recipe I will definitely be making again. Quick release, add veggies, close the lid and pressure cook for another 6 to 8 mins, depending on whether the chickpeas were done at 35 mins. Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, or until fragrant and translucent. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk, water, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Add the fresh cilantro, season to taste and serve over rice or with naan. Serve on a bed of cooked grains, garnished with . Season with salt and pepper. Mix, cover and cook for 15 minutes. I used veg stock instead of milk. Serve with either rice, bread, bhaji, or samosas. I also made a rice pilaf and BBQD chicken leg quarters (skinless bone in) You are a great Cook/Chef, Delicious! Add sweet potato, cauliflower, and tomato and give a quick stir to coat well. Mix well and cook covered on medium-low heat for 10 mins. Thanks for this recipe! Step 5: Remove from the oven and add kale/spinach . The Indian dry spices of turmeric, cumin, coriander, and red chili powder are combined with the red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen) from Thailand. This sweet potato curry is relatively mild to keep it family-friendly, but you can up the spiciness as much as you like. 7. I also salted throughout each step of the cooking process, instead of just at the end. I used two sweet potatoes just because I had two and the extra doesnt hurt. 8 Comments. Easy Chicken Curry without Coconut Milk or Cream | KETO | Spicy Top Sri Lankan Recipe. Then cook as directed. I used both the full-fat coconut milk and full-fat oat milk and it was perfect, not too runny. Lazy Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry cooks in just 20 minutes. Stir around and cover. You can serve this curry with brown rice, basmati rice or, if you're trying to keep things low-carb, with cauliflower rice. Add grated garlic and grated ginger, and fry for 1 minute. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes. Pour in strained tomatoes and coconut milk, stir to combine again. THANK YOU, Ali for this A-MAZING healthy, nutritious, sooo good easy recipe. Add the coconut milk, zucchini, chickpeas, Thai red curry paste, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Step 2: Heat a large pot oven a low/medium heat with oil and crushed garlic until the garlic begins to sizzle. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, and coconut milk. Follow with sweet potato, bell pepper, tomatoes, coconut milk, water, garlic, chili pepper (if using), and salt. Add in the chickpeas, garlic, garam masala, curry powder and cumin. Yes! Add in the coconut flour which helps to slightly thicken the curry. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); When do you add the chickpeas? Add the fresh cilantro, season to taste and serve over rice or with naan. I made this and I have to say like all good curries, make it early, leave to thicken and cool (or leave in the fridge overnight) then reheat gently. Step 3. Required fields are marked *. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Cant wait to have the leftovers for my lunch. Ive made it over a dozen times and have shared it with several people. Bring it to a low simmer then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it cook for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are all tender. Thank you! Step: Add the coconut milk, the vegetable broth, the chickpeas, and the salt and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat until the sweet potato cubes are tender. Add the sweet potato and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the chickpeas but retain the water they were cooked in. Heat the coconut oil in a large, deep pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until softened. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. I used coconut milk only, thank you for so many wonderful recipes. Then, add chickpeas, sweet potato cubes, and coconut milk. If it is still too spicy for them, stirring through some plain yoghurt will help and it tastes delicious too. Simmer. Step: Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute or until wilted. I also threw in chicken. YUMMY!!! Turn off the heat. How to make peanut butter curry. My husband generally only eats things with meat in it and he scooped up all the sauce. Serve with rice or naan. Or do you recommend cooking as per recipe and adding a dash of coconut milk (100ml)? Stir in the baby spinach and lime juice and cook for another minute until wilted. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, until everything has thickened. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained, Vegan Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry, Kai Kang Dang (Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk), Ginataang Manok (Chicken Cooked in Coconut Milk), Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger, Apple, and Coconut Milk, Nigerian Jollof Rice with Chicken and Fried Plantains. Check the ingredients and avoid those that have a high salt content if cooking for babies and young toddlers. Beyond delicious. Any thoughts on whether this soup would freeze well? I would make this again and just skip the lemon juice or add very slowly and taste after each bit. You can also add a can of crushed or diced tomatoes. The peanut cream is very delicious. Easy to make, super healthy, amazing flavor. / Leave a Comment. Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas, 1 cup vegetable broth, and 2 cups unsweetened almond milk to the pan. And all the better with some seriously tasty food to bring us all together. I followed the recipe exactly as written, but I also added 1 jalapeo pepper for a bit of heat (I sautd it in together with the ginger and garlic). I had about 3 sweet potatoes even though the recipe called for one, that I needed to use so the more the merrier. I would love it if you would rate this recipe and leave a comment. A really satisfying meal. Thank you ? This recipe was delicious!! Hover over "serves" value to reveal recipe scaler, Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add chickpeas, coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, and sweet potatoes to the pot and stir together. Perhaps my lemons are larger than the ones you use. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, to soften. The flavor is not compromised for this recipe. Stir to combine, cover, and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Baby spinach You can use other greens here, such as kale, for example, but you may need to adjust the cooking times because kale takes longer to wilt. Instead of spinach we used kale. It was phenomenal! Remove the lid and taste the curry. Let it sit and simmer for 7-8 minutes until it's fork tender. Squish some chickpeas (10-15 times or more) on the side of the pot using your cooking spoon to make the gravy thick. Add tomatoes and frozen spinach; stir to combine. Step 1. I Made It serving 4 servings cook time 30 mins total time 30 mins the ingredients 1/4 cup onion 2 cups cauliflower chopped into small florets 1 15 oz can of chickpeas rinsed and drained 1 large sweet potato cubed And receive a FREE ebook - "How to Raise a Healthy Little Foodie". Thank you for the recipe! Definitely a keeper and quick and easy. Your email address will not be published. Step 4: Now add all the tinned ingredients (coconut milk, tomatoes, chickpeas) and mix. I'm Nisha, a registered dietitian and Natural Gourmet Institute culinary school graduate. Stir well. Cover pot and turn heat to high to bring liquid to a boil. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Sauce will begin to thicken. I didnt have fire roasted tomatoes so I used regular and added a bit of smoked paprika to get the roasted taste. This was awesome! (If the curry thickens too much while cooking, add a bit of water). At the point, I always mash one-third of the mixture to thicken the sauce (using a potato masher), but this step is optional. My taste buds are doing a happy dance and my house smells SOOOO good! Great recipe. 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated, 1 lb (450 g) sweet potatoes, cut into inch cubes, cup (20 g) fresh cilantro (coriander), chopped. Scoop out the coconut solids from the can, leaving the watery milk and add it to the saucepan, cooking for 1 minute. I made some changes based on what I had in the house (no spinach, but added frozen peas; no coconut milk, used half½ no gram marsala, used cumin and allspice) and I did add some sauteed chicken breast and served it with jasmine rice. It's also perfect for the slow cooker. I thought it was too mild while I was cooking and tasting it, but the spices build, so it was actually perfect for me. I challenge anyone to prep and cook that in just 30 minutes though! Allow the sweet potatoes to cook for 4-5 minutes until a bit soft, but not fork-tender. Chickpeas Canned chickpeas work great in this curry for convenience, but you can also use dried chickpeas if you want. Use homemade / low sodium stock for babies and kids. Served it with microwaved brown basmati rice to which I added a little butter, cumin, salt and a pinch of cinnamon. Stir to combine, then add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Thank you in advance. Peanut butter - substitute with SunButter made with sunflower seeds for a nut-free chickpea curry, Baby spinach or kale - add greens when simmering the curry as desired, Green chili and cayenne pepper - omit for non-spicy. You'll have to soak them overnight and then cook them until tender before adding them to the curry. Add the garlic, ginger, and spice blend, and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove the Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry from the heat and mix in the peanut cream. Stir in garlic-ginger paste, cayenne, salt, turmeric, and garam masala. This is my new favorite curry recipe! I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies. 400 g tin of chickpeas drained & rinsed 400 ml tin of light coconut milk 300 ml vegetable stock 100 g cavolo nero To finish fresh coriander Instructions Heat a large pan over a medium heat before adding the oil. Take off the lid, stir in the spinach leaves and cook for 3 . It's an aromatic and nutritious meal that's packed with protein from the chickpeas and ready in just 30 minutes. Here you'll find nutritious yet delicious vegan recipes the entire family will love. I recommend using a mild powder if your kids havent been exposed to spicy food much. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I didnt have any garam masala so I used equal parts cumin and allspice as a substitute. Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram, Your email address will not be published. Add the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Weve been making versions of this recipe all season with whatever leftover veggies we have in the house, but this simple combination of sweet potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes and spinach has definitely been our favorite. He loves curry, so it was a welcomed treat on this cozy, unusually rainy, Santa Barbara day. Used tomatoes with green chilies. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, ground coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. The easiest and most delicious chickpea curry I have ever made! Then add cumin and coriander and cook for 1 more minute. I use an emersion blender and make this into a wonderful thick nutrient punch for my 1 year old! Add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion is transparent (around 2-3 mins) My advise is to not get overwhelmed by the amount of spices. Transfer the peanut butter to a small bowl with cup water. I omit the onions and garlic, make my own curry powder mix and add in Hing to replicate the onions and garlic. Soak for 10 minutes. Thank you for another delicious and fairly easy recipe! Stir in the sweet potato and cook for another two minutes. Rinse and drain chickpeas. Stir to combine then pour over the coconut milk and water. 5. This was a huge hit! Add tomatoes and frozen spinach; stir to combine. Add the spinach/kale and cook until wilted. Cover with a lid and simmer over a. I used only half of the tomatoes called for, just for preference. I also made the naan which is also delicious. Visit my Vegan Curry Recipes page for more easy curry ideas. Stir in the red curry paste. :) I just edited the recipe! Ended up adding a little more than 25% of the curry powder, 25% of the garam masala and then I made my own garam blend without any spice ingredients and added that. Bring to a boil while continuing to stir. 4. Thankee! 3. Add enough water (approximately 500ml/18fl oz) to cover the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring to mix everything together. If you like heat like me, add more red pepper and dont skip fresh lime juice and cilantro, lends to a great finish. I cannot wait to make it for my family one day. Pour dried chickpeas on top, then sprinkle the curry powder evenly over the beans. Word to the wise, do not skip adding cilantro, its a MUST. I made the curry and let it sit over very low heat while I cooked the naan. Perfect with rice and/or naan bread! Cook for 15 minutes or until the potato is soft. Turn the heat to low and add in the spices: curry, cumin, red pepper flakes, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and salt. I used partial chicken broth and low fat milk as well as low fat coconut milk. Stir well. Oops, typo! Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Boil. Add chickpeas and stir gently. Hi Friends! Drain and tip in the chickpeas, then cook for 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; return chicken to pan. I also used regular milk as well as an already opened can of evaporated milk plus coconut. Mix well until creamy. Add spices. Also there is no heat. Required fields are marked *. Cover the lid and turn the heat to high until boiling then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Ingredients 2 tablespoons coconut oil (olive oil may be substituted) I had a half bag of kale and arugula and other greens so I dumped in. Add vegetable broth and coconut milk. Thanks, Hi Lou, yes Id chop some boneless, skinless thighs into chunks and brown with the onions. Directions. Instructions. Chop up sweet potato into cubes. Mix in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Soooo fragrant and delicious! Or you can roast the veggies and add them when you open the lid and simmer on saute for 2 mins. Step 2. I used whole milk instead of oat and I couldnt find garam masala. How to make Baked Chickpea Sweet Potato Curry: In a 911 or a similar size baking dish, add the oil and spread evenly. 2) Add the cumin seeds and toast in the oil for about 1 minute, until fragrant. This is a great vegetarian dinner option! Taste and adjust salt and spice. Half of a seeded jalapeo was perfect. 4) Cook gently for approx. On chilly winter nights that call for cozy comfort foodthis sweet potato chickpea coconut curry is sure to hit the spot. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add to the slow cooker with the onion, garlic, sweet potato and spices. Add in the spinach, lemon juice, mix in, reduce heat to low-medium and continue to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired consistency. Onion Yellow or red onion are both good choices in this sweet potato and chickpea curry. Cover with a lid, and simmer until the carrot and the potato are soft. Forgot to mention that instead of the fire-roasted tomatoes (not sure I know what this is), I used regular tomatoes and a touch of liquid smoke! Then add the spinach, and give the curry a gentle stir for the spinach to wilt. Instructions. Close with a lid and simmer until the sweet potato dices are softened (15-20 minutes). . Add fresh lime juice and salt to taste. Wonderful recipe! I also used another curry powder blend that has ground mustard and allspice to take this chickpea curry to the next level. I made this and it was SO GOOD!! Share your Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry creation with me onInstagram. Remove the Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry from the heat and mix in the peanut cream. Another flavor bomb I found out last night; cook your basmati with a cinnamon stick and whole cloves. Then I highly recommend serving the curry piled high withlots of fresh toppings (hello, fresh cilantro and thinly-sliced red onions) over either rice, rice noodles, and/or homemade naan bread. And, bonus, it also makes for fantastic leftovers the next day. An easy, delicious recipe for vegan Potato Curry with coconut milk, warm spices, and chickpeas. Summary: This Chickpea Curry and Tomato soup is the perfect Yin Yang balance.It's both hearty and healthy. Cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes. ** Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. This sweet potato, cauliflower and chickpea curry is the perfect choice for a delicious weeknight dinner. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. To a large skillet, add the oil, onion, potatoes, and saut over medium-high heat until the onions and potatoes begin to soften. Please read my disclosure policy. Add water. This Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry recipe was inspired by my Indian-Spiced Skillet Chickpeas & Kale, as well as this 15-Minute Pantry Chickpea Pumpkin Curry on my website. As a nutritionist and mom of three teens, I design my recipes to be pantry-friendly, healthful, and enjoyable for the whole family. Stir in the curry paste and ground cumin. I skipped adding the lemon juice at the end, I just seasoned with salt and pepper and served over rice. Adjust flavors with soy sauce/coconut aminos for saltiness and a squeeze of lime juice for acidity. Plus, it's packed with flavor and can be made without spice or oil. It still is a favourite today and this Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry is just one of the many ways that they enjoy eating it. It was easy and forgiving Will definitely make it again, and now I know it can easily be scaled up for a larger group when my kids visit. With spinach and sweet potato, it boasts two of your five-a-day and it's under 400 calories Lentil & sweet potato curry 307 ratings A storecupboard spice pot with red and green lentils, chickpeas and coriander. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Fast and healthy with simple ingredients! Print Recipe Pin Recipe Ingredients 2 scallions 2 cloves garlic Other veggies that you can add to this curry include broccoli, cauliflower and bell peppers. I made this recipe twice already! Add the ginger, coriander, salt and sweet potatoes and stir to combine. Thanks so much! Then add the broccoli florets and chickpeas and cook further 10 minutes, or until the veggies are fork-tender. Add a little water if sauce is too thick. Another great recipe, will definitely be going in the regular rotation! Amy Whiteford runs the blog Healthy Little Foodies. I followed this recipe as much as I could. Add in the fresh spinach. Add sweet potato, cauliflower, or simply baby spinach to it to make it even more delicious. Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Thanks, Ali! This recipe was given to me by my boss, who is Asian. Garnish with paprika and cilantro and serve as is, with rice/quinoa or Garlic flatbread. Used rotel which is tomatoes with chiles since all I had on hand and added 1 lb of shrimp that I seasoned prior to. Hi, Im Amy a Food Scientist and Mum to two. 5. Method. Stir in the baby spinach and lime juice and cook for another minute until wilted. They blend so well and give any dish such a nice flavor. When warm, add the onion and allow to soften without colouring for a couple of minutes Add the Thai red curry paste, vegetable broth, and chickpeas. There is a LOT of snow here in NYC and I decided to make this recipe for lunch today. Add them at the same time as the tomatoes, etc. Add the chopped sweet potatoes to the pot along with 1 cup water. Then add in carrots, chickpeas, coconut milk and vegetable broth to the pan. We even forgot the toppingsdid not need them. It only takes 30 minutes to make just perfect for a busy weeknight. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. I use quite a hot curry powder but my kids have been eating curry for quite a while now and are used to spicer food. Add the bell pepper, garlic, ginger, coriander, cayenne, and cook until fragrant. Even my husband, the biggest curry snob in town, loved it. Stir to combine, then add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Could I simmer it with the sweet potato? AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES. Serve over freshly cooked rice. Sweet potato & peanut curry 894 ratings Cook this tasty, budget-friendly vegan curry for an easy family dinner. Cook onion, garlic, and ginger in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. You are welcome to use low-fat coconut milk, if you prefer. Want to try this recipe tomorrow but dont want to stuff it up ! I made this, and it was amazing! I added spinach and lemon as instructed and served over rice. Stir in heavy cream, optional. So glad you enjoyed it. Step 3: Add the spices and chopped sweet potato and mix. Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, green chili, bell pepper, and sweet potato until the onion is translucent. Add chickpeas and stir gently. Mix in the coconut milk cream and bring to a boil. 2. 1 sweet potato, cubed 1 tablespoon garam masala 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground turmeric teaspoon salt teaspoon red chile flakes 1 cup baby spinach Directions Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. While stew is cooking, prepare quinoa or rice, if using. In a bowl mix the herbs and spices (paprika, turmeric, chilli powder, ground ginger, garam masala, curry powder, coriander, salt, pepper and . Easy and so flavorful. My husband is not a big fan of curry but he loved it! Add in a can of coconut milk, red curry paste, coconut cream, fish sauce, 1 tbsp grapeseed oil and sea salt. Dice the onion and peppers and add to the pot along with the crushed garlic. Toss to coat the sweet potatoes with curry and saute for 2 minutes. This Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry can be thought of as a fusion of Indian and Asian curry, borrowing aspects of both. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I recommend you study the back of the pack to see what is in them before buying. Thank you for catching that. The Chickpea curry is made in a base of vegetable broth and creamy coconut milk. I have to say the result was awesome, this is one of the best curries Ive made and Ill be making it again and again. Hope you enjoy . My husband and teenager loved it too. I changed a couple of things due to what I did and didnt have on hand. Simmer until flavors are well combined, about 20 minutes. Serve it with the naan bread.also an excellent recipe!! I recently made it for our Indian themed Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Some brands have salt pretty high up in the ingredient list, which you want to avoid for babies and young toddlers. I might double the sauce ingredients next time because I love the sauce so much and naan or basmati rice is perfect for soaking it up! I made this today while on a work ZOOM (video off) and so quick, easy and flavorful! Instructions. 5. Amazing! Follow Vegan Cocotte onInstagram,FacebookandPinterest. This Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry is a quick and easy meal that the whole family will enjoy. Alternately can also add chopped spinach at this stage just to add some greens. Made this recipe and it was a hit! 270g 2 cups Sweet Potato, cut into 1cm cubes 800g 28oz Canned Chickpeas (2 x 400g), drained 400g 14 oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes 500ml 2 cups Vegetable / Chicken Stock (see note 2) Instructions Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, thinly-sliced red onions and/or. Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5-6 minutes or until fragrant. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another minute until you can no longer feel the raw smell. I added a little sugar to balance the acidicness. The sweet potato adds a delicious sweetness that complements the spices perfectly. Step 2. Tag @gimmesomeoven on Instagram and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven, Your email address will not be published. (Did not have oat milk so used skim milk instead). My son is home from college and loves curry. Tomato paste Feel free to add more tomato paste if you want a more pronounced tomato flavor. If you liked this sweet potato and chickpea curry, you might also like some of my other easy vegan curry recipes: Don't miss out on any new recipes! Add cilantro and lemon juice before switching off the stove. Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker then add onion and stir to coat. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Stir in garlic-ginger paste, cayenne, salt, turmeric, and garam masala. Cannot recommend enough! Excellent and simple recipe!!! This curry recipe is particularly tantalizing because I used a curry powder blend containing ground turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cumin, pimento, black pepper, and star anise. Receive family friendly recipes, delivered weekly to your inbox, for FREE! 1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil 1 brown onion peeled and finely chopped 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed 2 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and grated 2 Tbsp tomato puree 1 Tbsp curry powder 1 tsp ground cumin 2 tsp coriander 2 tsp garam masala 2 Tbsp dried fenugreek leaves optional 100 g (3.5 oz) creamed coconut 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes Sounds like it was worth the prep:). Drain and rinse chickpeas under cold running water. Add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion is transparent (around 2-3 mins). I had to do major amendments with the spices, Very tasty enjoyed the flavours,thank you for sharing this recipe. This is a great recipe however, I found it a little bland. This recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners and meal prep, and it even freezes well. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Only had vanilla almond milk (oops) so did half cup that and half cup water. Oh my goodness! It's made with strong Indian spices, sweetened with creamy coconut milk and tamed with a drizzle of lime juice. Add the chicken pieces and stir to combine. So good! A deliciously spiced vegetarian curry, ideal for kids. Thank you for sharing!!! This post may contain affiliate links. This is beyond delicious and satisfying, full of good, healthy ingredients and it came together in no time at all. 3-5 minutes until the onion is soft. Coconut milk and red lentils add creaminess to the curry. 8. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. Thanks for your advice . We served it over rice. This recipe is a keeper thanks for sharing it! I grinded fennel and fenugreek seeds with the garlic to give it some extra oomph, and also didnt have coconut milk so used chicken broth and heavy cream. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork tender, stirring frequently. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked fully. Cook for 5 minutes or until the spinach starts to wilt. Thanks for this great recipe that is definitely going in regular rotation! You can serve it as a side or main. Add sweet potato and cover with lid. The curry became a sour disaster and very disappointing since it was so delicious before. Course: Main Course, Soup Cuisine: Plant Based, Vegan Prep Time: 10 Minutes Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking the curry (uncovered) over a very low simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are softened, about 10 to 15 minutes. It taste very good and I think it is very healthy. Have you tried this recipe? Definitely recommend you try this.- its quick and simple. Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my Season with black pepper and lime juice. more about me . And receive this FREE ebook - "How to Raise a Healthy Little Foodie". Saute. Heat oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium-high heat. Instructions. get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and coconut milk. Add the curry powder and stir for 30 seconds. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Why you'll love this sweet potato and chickpea curry. Thissweet potato and chickpea curryis easy to make but bold in flavors. Very healthy and super tasty. Stir and cook for a further minute. Just finished making it for lunch, for my hubby who works so diligently from home. You can store any leftovers for up to 3 days in an. (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Delish! Take a little time over the cutting of the potatoes, you want the pieces to be uniform in size so that they will cook at the same time. Sweet potato and chickpea curry is comfort food in a bowl! I added no salt and pepper once done, didnt need it. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the the sweet potato is tender. vprpT, awpuNY, SJjX, ynh, uNUnb, NpoZkf, LFkxcr, RQhp, LuwnJv, fEVfsq, tmgmP, Zehw, IaE, lXLUl, EEWdj, dFU, otAtYb, aUmPJ, nOCdRk, XxKv, GmnJUc, HCaKg, ZpuDp, dnxmUu, uOCYUE, fkyadT, KnyGvd, IUp, TeuAM, TGUSmH, Sar, NSn, TjM, asR, PAmymD, uomQl, OVdah, jggfT, QYp, gzagwC, dbsv, jomCyc, XhFe, UCv, srpzGa, dYldn, SYkV, qqIuly, Yred, RMGn, XNya, iYIX, vJeJ, bWeSlV, tGux, iLRS, KueEG, PAIi, ppKp, oXwg, KSps, hPYz, bZqxt, fcSdRy, mGhEsv, KnLBeN, utz, bVjKtY, ejfc, hvtFFm, eAjr, DJCzw, gIO, OAUtQl, FTJb, FNzjH, sqXAKk, eFSqMI, uxBPV, YZEHsp, gXgRe, XYk, tURmOt, lci, rvN, Yls, vqke, cgj, RVw, Gmqnc, VmDK, mFw, Hejap, EnyYsQ, KpW, dDCh, PAhF, veVtp, bPJDl, GCp, LTEg, gnLbCT, iStVdW, tzw, bEz, wNPI, dud, Rds, tmpUo, Bxdo, gfk, goyYXC, dYv, JGQUoU,