Amazon.com: Old Town Gua 147 canoa de ocio, 14-feet 7-Inch : Deportes y Actividades al Aire Libre. We have 1 Old Town Canoe Co. Guide 147 manual available for free PDF download: Owner's Manual Old Town Canoe Co. Guide 147 Owner's Manual (24 pages) Old Town Canoe and Kayak Owners Manual Brand: Old Town Canoe Co. | Category: Boat | Size: 1.68 MB On my last outing in the Guide 147 we ended up having to deal with a decent chop and small white caps. Old town Guide 14.7, From a 100 year old Historic Canoe Company, Old town Brings the guide series to the market and has left in its production line for many years. It makes fishing and soloing just perfect because the canoe isn't that long. I have found that its a good canoe for multipurpose fishing, camping, etc. saranac 160. saranac 146. guide 16 . We took it on a 4 day camping trip through the St. Regis area in NY. I have gone down rivers (the fastest was the Chattahoochie in ATL) and I have been on several lakes for camping trips in it. I am very satisfied with the Guide's low price and performance, I got my guide for my 8th grade graduation and I could not think of a better choise, it is a great entry level canoe, and it is fast on lakes, I easily give it a 10. I can stand up in the canoe with no problem at all. I also made the copper clad trolling motor mount that securely installs in a minute with no tools and has the proper angle to ensure the most thrust from trolling motor. The four Guides (two red and two green) are rock solid in the water. I also moved the bow seat further towards the stern to give more legroom up front but it also made a great solo seat. Its short enough to manuever in tight spots but tracks well. Best Dry Suits for Paddling in 2022: What Makes a Good Dry Suit for Paddling? The Old Town Saranac is a canoe designed for recreational use. Is it heavy? I went to buy an Old Town Discovery but then when I found the Guide 147 I thought it was perfect. Canoes aren't meant to be pontoon boats. I highly recommend this Canoe. Great for families and introducing kids to canoes. Black Friday Deals - 15% Off Select Watercraft + More! Minuses to this canoe: 74 pounds could be a lot to handle for some people. Go on, hit the rocks, it won't mind a bit. This popular canoe features a unique cross-section and stabilizing chines which allow the Guide to deliver exceptional stability. This was the cheapest I have ever seen this canoe. The 16's weighed about the same as the 174 but seem to plow through the water better. Purchased the Guide 147 in April 2008 from Canadian Tire for $300 new. It's proven to be a great boat for fishing, although I wish the initial stability was a little better. The canoe performs well in choppy lake water, strong current etc. This should provide enough weight up front to counter balance my 200 lbs. Be Alone Every Once in a While: Paddling Trip Tips for Introverts, SUP Snorkeling 101: Techniques and Safety Guide. Guide 147 Canoe '21 $949.00. I took my kids out on one our local lakes yesterday. Old Town Canoe introduced a square stem, detachable motor in 1917. Canoes really are not fishing boats or party platforms and if you are looking for one to do non traditional canoe activities you will need a FLAT bottom. The performance was flawless. If you have the chance to purchase the cane seats, I would Strongly recommend you do so. I know there are fancier, lighter, possibly easier to handle canoes on the market. I have a Wenonah solo in Kevlar Ultralight and this canoe is clearly on the opposite end of the spectrum. NO canoe does everything perfect, but i say for 70% of your canoers out there this is a great fit. Stability is great from the seat and incredible when I sit in the center floor. I chose this canoe, over a kayak, because my girlfriend at the time wanted to go fishing with me, so I needed a two seater. I should have tried this boat out before I purchased the Bell, I would have saved a bunch of money. Initial stability is ok. After reading other peoples reviews they say that you can stand in it and the water I was in was 42 degrees so I'll let you know some summer if that is true. contoured molded seats with fold up back rests which make staying out a little longer than expected no troubleI mean who wants to leave when the fish are biting? It was very hard to hike that sucker through the mountains and swamps in that wilderness. I have one problem with my 147 and it's with the seats. Also an Ozark Mountain Canoe Carrier for cars. I finally was able to save enough pennies and go buy my first canoe. And its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. I was able to slip the bow right where I wanted into the bank. Anyone wanna buy a new Guide 147? I had to kneel forward, scoot to one side and dig in to keep it on track and pry the J stroke off the gunwales, which if I had some gear lashed down in the front it might have been easier to control. For reference the number in Old Town canoe names is the length, in this case 14 feet 7 inches. We're here to help! Even though this is a killer deal for a quality canoe it's obvious after my experience that Old Town's quality control might be slipping a bit. Since then I've taken it in rivers, lakes and salt water. Great boat, great price, great buy. And dragged it to many new adventures. PolyLink3 hull's foam core offers flotation and insulation from cold water. $450 Negotiable. Water line was just above the chines in the middle of the boat. Not the fastest but perfect for these purposes. I have no problem with Oldtown, the price is right and the quality is par for what you pay for. Landing was easy, because this canoe handles well. Took it out ..had a blast . I am a science teacher in Port Townsend, Washington and this year we are doing Marine Biology right out on Puget Sound. Do recommend getting some sort of padded canoe seat with adjustable back at dicks or old town if your going to be spending a lot of time in the seat. Old town Guide 147 canoe, 14.5ft, can fit 3-4 people, comes with 2 paddles and some noodles if you want them. And its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. I have taken the liberty of installing rear and forward thwarts for stability and for gear protection. It floats, steers, handles great, and is extremely stable. I like the ash-wood yoke in the center making it and easy portage to the water line or the vehicle rack and the seats are very comfortable and secure. It doesn't need additional tracking, and it's plenty stable. In fact, if you do tip this boat, you may want to consider a new hobby. Sports; YakAttack LLC; Sea To Summit; Yakima; Mariner Sails; Yak-Gear Inc; Hoka; Native Kayaks; Old Town Canoe Co. . Thrust electric Trolling Motor with 30" Shaft with 5 speed forward and 3 speed reverse used for 3 hrs., and 3 paddles. Length: 16 Material: Polyethylene. 3-layer polyethylene is very durable and abrasion resistant, and moderately stiff Inner foam core adds built-in floatation and insulates against cold and noise Pronounced tumblehome and low profile for easier paddling Subtle rocker for straight, smooth tracking Our seat spacer fits perfectly with Old Town plastic molded seats and vinyl gunwales. Good family boat. I take my 5 yo and 6 yo out in this canoe and we fish in it just fine. Added 3/4 inch plywood to middle with cut out for five gallon, live bait bucket. Got this thing for 200$ locally so I'm terribly disappointed, but I will be taking some resin and woven material to the chines to remove some of the "stability". This canoe has a fairly sharp bow and stern and paddles very efficientlt and tracks very well. Cuenta y Listas Devoluciones y Pedidos. Old Town Guide 147 & 160 polylink Old Town Guide 147 & 160 . I'm not one of those burly dudes whose reviews talk about how easy it is to hoist this boat. The contour seats will last a lifetime. Call us with any question, anytime! I'm 70 years old and weigh to much, 195#. Very easy to paddle solo as the side chimes keep you tracking properly and responsive. This canoe will do all that the Pelican will do at nearly half the weight. Joined Sep 24, 2018 Messages 306 Reaction score 131 Location Brewster, New York. TRIPPING: Designed to freight your gear while navigating moving and flat water, these versatile work-horse canoes will be your vehicle to adventure. And its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. I own a Guide 147. Be sure if you purchase this canoe you plan on going with someone else. It's perfect for the family! It is very unstable and dangerous to do fast moving rivers in. I was the only one paddling and was kneeling with my butt resting on the rear seat with a straight shaft paddle. Condition is Used in excellent condition! Each time we take it out, I am impressed more and more by its versatility. I've had this Old Town Guide 147 for about 20 years. One guy had a Mad River, the wood seats got destroyed, replaced several time. The soft flexible hull is perfect for the type of paddling we do, along lakes and slow rivers with rocky shores. With its unique cross-section and stabilizing chines, the Guide 147 delivers exceptional stability, as well as rugged durability. Description: Canoe - Old Town Guide 147 (14' 7") Recreational Canoe. Transport was initially an issue because the canoe is a little too wide for our mini-van factory rack ('99 Mercury Villager). At 74 pounds it wasn't unmanageable by myself, but it isn't Kevlar either. Re-Supply Will Remain Unpredictable Through 2022. The good part is that everything in the middle of the canoe stays dry as the water all runs to the front and back of the boat. Great value for the money. Paddles easily. A good point however is it seems to be indestructible. carrying support was moved. This canoe put out by old town has done nothing but kicked ass, I went out and bought this gem for 40% off at sportsman warehouse 6 years ago. Nothing has come close to puncturing the hull. The bow and stern handles make it easy to carry short distances, but investing in a cart is highly suggested when transporting this boat from vehicle to water. Apr 14, 2014 #4 . I have paddled an older version, so the rating is based on that (though I believe the newer ones have improvements, such as the seats, and may deserve a higher rating). I had to sell mine due to lack of paddling partners. With the seat back installed, I can't sit back far enough on the stern seat to be comfortable and I constantly feel as though I'm going to slide out of the seat. I also would like to add some kind of DIY footbrace/kneeling. It is easier to steer than th kineo, and I believe it even tracks better than the kineo. In the event of a capsize and possibly needing assistance I wanted a highly visible Canoe for others to see from shore. Quick view Add to Cart. My wife and I have always loved to canoe, we would spend outrageous prices to rent canoes for trips that were ALWAYS misrepresented by the liveries. This is a very responsive and dependable craft which I've had in class 2 + with no problems. Seven 16-foot Guide Model Old Town canoes were used in production of the film Deliverance. The kid at the store showed me another brand of plastic canoe and I told him to push in on the side and then push in on the side of the Guide. An Old Town Guide 147.Canoe with 1 paddle..Dark green in excellent condition..Two fold down seats, a few scratches on bottom..Ready for the season..the retail list on this is 895.00 so you're getting it at half cost..please look closely at the photos..great condition.I'm willing to deliver within 50 miles of Belfast for 50$ on delivery. I would recommend it. Then in the Monongahela river in Greensboro PA, where we took it up river towards Point Marion and all the way up Dunkard creek there until we would have had to carry it across some rocks. We fixed this by removing the rack and just using the foam pads from a universal carrier kit and haven't had a problem since. More. Even used it with a trolling motor and it fairly moves along. I should tell you that my weight is around 390 lbs and I still have fun canoeing in Old Towns. Buy a canoe model to match the intended use. This one has: A short length, good for storage and Old town makes great canoes, and makes them in many flavors to fit nearly any situation. We have some pretty major scrapes and gouges from floating when the water was to low and they are all cosmetic. Our first trip was to the BWCA, and although it slow, it definitely is very stable. 2 thumbs up! I have to kneel amidships to turn it into the wind. I did notice that it will have a bit harder time keeping up with other canoes I have tried (likely due to a combination of shorter length while still having a wide beam, and potentially also a slight material effect versus aluminum); overall, GPS showed it was fairly consistently about a half mile per hour slower than a 16-foot aluminum Aurora canoe with the same two paddlers across the range of "steady but moderate paddling" up to strong, full-effort paddling. It's the best canoe I've been in. My only complaint would be its weight. Extremely durable three layer polyethylene. I just got back from putting it in the Youghiogheny River at Ceder creek park near Rochester PA. Very stable on entry and exit. I did a 5 day trip in this beast this summer and wow, totally impressed. By then I plan to be 75 pounds lighter and j stroking like crazy. I haven't done any fishing with it yet, but you can stand up with out any fear of tipping what so ever, we even had two people standing in it with out any worries. I'm 6'3" 280 and my friend is 6'1" 260. I spent my youth doing it however. Handles great in tight marsh channels. Since then I've taken it in rivers, lakes and salt water. It is heavy (almost 80 lbs) but as a result indestructible. I have to force the canoe to tip to practice getting myself back in (At the front or back by yourself or if there are 2 of you on either side but not on the same side and at the same time). Thanks for a great canoe. For the price it is a fine canoe. Durable PolyLink3 3-layer linear polyethylene hull resists impacts. My ancestors have owned Old Town canoes since the company was manufacturing them. The Guide 147 is great for me as a solo user. Taking it down the Green River in Kentucky in late June. Mine also had the seatbacks attached. I'll agree with most of the reviews here with regards to the boat's durability, it's affordable price point, and over all "work horse" reputation. There was a light breeze, but the bow seemed low enough that the wind had little effect. Downsides are 1) reduced legroom in bow, but that is really not a problem unless the person was fairly large; 2) it is a little heavy to cartop or portage, but hey, did you look at the price? I paid $429 for mine and that's a bargain for the freedom it brings. So, if this Guide lives up to the reviews posted here, the Bell Merlin II is going up for sale. I have Old Town solo and a tour kayak so I have experience in all those boats. It helps to test the tipping point. Went to the sportsman's store and checked out everything they had in stock & still went to the 147. I have owned my OT guide 147 for 1 yr. Have used it ~ 10 times to fish small lakes in western KY. Took my new Old Town Guide out this weekend for the first time. I rolled my canoe last weakend and the roto molded seats got water inside them and I finally had to remove them, to remove the water. I wouldn't want to go on a long portage without pads though, and mosquitoes seem to revel in the shade provided by the canoe. We average 2.5-3 mph. If you had to choose between a Mad River Passage 14' or an Old Town Guide 147.which would it be..kinda narrowed it down these 2.I know longstreet1 really like his Mad River would love to hear some about the OT 147 if any of ya have been in one..They both weigh about the same & are the same money. The canoe I bought is about 10 years old (molded seats but not seat backs). handles like a barge in the wind. !I take it out almost every weekend out on a lake not that far from my home. My muscles are telling me I need to hit the gym more after this weekend. Just bought this canoe at Dick's Sporting Goods for $399 and I am excited to get it out on the water! Its straight sides, with stabilizing chines, offer fantastic initial stability. I was worried about legroom up front, but it wasn't a problem at all. Well built and has nice, intergrated carry handles. But for a real family that needs a tough dependable boat that they can gets YEARS of enjoyment out of, the Guide is at the top of the list. Guide 147 Guide canoes represent a breakthrough in design and construction, using a special adaptation of our PolyLink3 process that provides a durable, stiff and affordable canoe. Guide 147. Old Town Guide 147 Canoe Red, Abrasian Resistant, Contoured seats, 0.00. It weighed that much after I removed the lounge chairs and replaced them with proper cane seats. A plus would be that it is very likely indestructible. photographyreview.com Thoroughly enjoyed the maiden voyage, caught some good size Large Mouth Bass and most important of all, I did not capsize the first time out. Well that is my two cents not all will agree and not all will agree. This canoe weighs about 75 pounds. If you spend a lot of time portaging, or paddling with those in sleeker boats, you will desire to graduate to something higher end. I'm sure there are a lot of canoes that are wonderful, but for the money, this is one fine canoe. The 147 is an extremely heavy canoe, but durable. Also a middle seat would be nice, but when we take our 6 year old daughter along we set a low beach chair in the middle for her. It has 2 seats, but can take a third middle floor seat. The top floats up. Old Town Guide 147 First let's me say I love the canoe. Wide open cockpit ideal for my long legs and ease of access. The Guide handled it with ease! Purchased this boat through Dick's Sporting Goods for $60 (a good sale and Visa perks). It tracks really well and is very stable, plenty of room for kit on multi day trips. With its unique cross-section and stabilizing chines, the Guide 147 & 160 is designed to deliver exceptional stability . We are very happy with it. It handled wonderfully. But who cares? It will also hold those same two adults and enough gear for a week-end trip, possibly even enough for a week long trip if the adults are the kind who pack lean and mean. Great for floating down rivers. After bouncing off of rocks and down rapids, only very minor scratches on the bottom. The original owner had garage kept it and used it mainly at local lakes and streams here in east TN. Read reviews for the Guide 147 by Old Town Canoe and Kayak as submitted by your fellow paddlers. Whoever said it was tippy? It also analyzed reviews to verify trustworthiness. Im 6'4 and 225lbs pretty good shape but it is still a real load for me to get on Ford Explorer. Old Town Canoe Company is a historic maker of canoes in Old Town, Maine. All these problems are on me as I didn't try it out prior to purchase, (no one had one locally) but I have had other canoes (including an Old Town Disco 169) and a GREAT Stowe Allagash fiberglass model. The Old Town Guide 147 & 160 is made from three Layer Polyethylene which has been used to manufacture canoes for decades. Other Web Sites in the ConsumerReview Network: mtbr.com | I'm not to canoe savy but this thing has treated me ok in choppy seas. I am on a strict diet and exercise program so i can canoe again like i did for many years. I figure we just about tested it to it's max. I purchased the boat, two paddles, two PFDs, and a set of foam blocks/straps for cartopping from Dick's for about $500. I only have one real gripe about this canoe, regardless of how it is used. I wasn't handling it all that well myself to be honest. Works perfectly for both. No Interest if paid in full in 6 mo on $99+Opens in a new window or tab* No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on $99+. Do youself a favor and really ask why you're the market for a canoe; it's purpose, and your ability, nature and frequency of use. All in all this is a GREAT value in a canoe. Old Town Canoe Original OEM Decal (23) 7.34 18.74 postage 1,727 sold (2) Vintage 1980s Old Town Canoe Brochures - Canoeing the Arctic 27.26 18.74 postage 1916 Old Town Canoes Catalog on CD - Specifications, models, history 13.63 14.43 postage Old Town One-stop shop for all things from your favourite brand Shop now that one for 10 years, and am very pleased with this one. There is a little oil caning towards the middle but I compensated by drinking more beer. Really like this boat!!! It will make your canoe adventure a much better experience. The canoe measures in at 14'7" from bow to stern, 38" wide & 13" deep. Love the durability of it and love the price ($450 in 2010 at Sports Autority). Ride low tide out and ride high tide in. I do not see where stability is a big issue and it maneuvers nicely with the proper strokes. . Slightly arched bottom provides stability when paddling in waves. It WILL hold a pile of camping gear and IS quite stable. My wife's words at that moment: "I'm not getting in that thing and neither is the dog"! As a Guide Canoe, it is very stable for all ages with an adult. The Guide 147 - short wide recreational canoe. A member of the local canoe club recommended this boat for a solo paddler as it was the one he used. 614 North Main StreetFarmville , VA 23901. One of the few issues we had were the hard plastic seats, which wore out ones rump during a long day of paddling or fishing. O,d towne canoe is a great canoe .oars ,vests, dry bag , and some other gear for a river outing all shipped to my house. Built with its long chines that stabilize the craft whether its loaded down with gear or just floating lightly across the water by yourself. I find myself not even using the seat but instead sitting on the back when paddling. This canoe is fun and rides smoothing across the water, I choose this canoe for the name and then the price just having a child this was a canoe I could afford and enjoy. ha ha figure that out. I built a canoe carrier and that really helps out. Mount Victoria, NSW. We bought it just after our wedding in 2004, and it is still doing very well! This is my fourth canoe. Old Town Guide 147: 14'7 . Next time I will Nice functional canoe But be careful when storing in hot conditions ,I thought I was doing a good thing putting a cover on it WRONG ! Running the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River, on a 3 day trip, handled gear and two inexperienced paddlers for the 30 mile trip down river. The old town guide 147 & 160 is made from three layer polyethylene which has been used to manufacture canoes for decades. I have had this boat on the slow rivers, lakes, and gulf coast and has always performed very well. Do I try to sell it a two day old canoe and take a dumping on it, return it to the store 250 miles away, or ship it back for a refund via UPS for $150.00? This is my second canoe and I preferred the first one which was a 17 foot aluminum with a keel. Minor point, I did find the black gunwale to get hot to handle in the bright sunshine and the rivets as well. Super durable and Old Town canoes are the best. Secondary stability is good. Our Old Towns even fell off our trailer one time and dragged on the road. A square-back, capable of being motorized, canoe's maximum allowable capacity is normally posted on a USCG maximum capacity decal on the inside of the canoe. However that robustness comes at a distinct weight cost that can make its self evident when portaging or crossing beaver dams. I used my gear at as ballast and it went fine. I have used other canoes that were 16 footers with keel so they tracked better than the 174. It's intuitive and easy to handle, so you can focus on having fun, not learning strokes. We love this boat, it does everything we want, and was cheap, only $400. Old Town's Guide canoes represent a breakthrough in canoe construction, using a special adaptation of our patented PolyLink3 process that provides a durable and stiff canoe at an affordable price. As long as you don't act crazy while doing itstanding to fish is no problemI've also had to stand a time or two to retrieve my favorite lure from a low hanging tree branch lol. Local pickup only and it is available in the Finger Lakes area of New York State. Being a novice canoer, I did a lot of research, viewed product reviews and educated myself on factors to consider when buying a canoe, and chose this one. It's very stable and solid in the water. I've used it on modest sized lakes and relatively tame rivers so far and the only problem I've run into is dealing with the wind. This canoe put out by old town has done nothing but kicked ass, I went out and bought this gem for 40% off at sportsman warehouse 6 years ago. Old Town Canoe Co. Guide 147 Manuals Manuals and User Guides for Old Town Canoe Co. Guide 147. Its a bit of a grunt to get up onto my 4x4's roof rack by myself, but that will come with practice. . Would I have another, definatly. The canoe was wonderful to travel with, stable, turned well, but wasn't the best at tracking and was easily propelled (even with all the gear and a second, lazy person:). Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic canoe at 36 pounds but it isn't the boat I need for what I want to do, which is mostly fish. I have tried to fish from this canoe solo with little success. A bit cramped but did not affect the stability of the craft. (C) Copyright 1996-2018. The Guide's weight, width, and hull design gave it a very stable feel. Thread starter TrailBlaser; Start date Feb 10, 2022; TrailBlaser. Granted this review is based on about 3 hours of paddling on reasonably still water on Ebenezer Creek in Georgia. It's constructed with a durable 3 layer polyethylene plastic and is surprisingly light at only 82 lbswith the carry yolkit's no problem to carry this canoe on your shoulders and make those portages through the woods to the next put in. I just bought this at a local shop for $520, I have taken it out a few times on a small pond with my wife at the front and 2 small kids in beach chairs in the middle. 800.442.4837 My very first canoe was a 2001 Old Town Guide 147. The primary stability is not great but better in a kneeling position of course. I just took my Guide 147 out on it's maiden voyage today. Where portaging is concerned, it's doable with the Guide as long as the distance is measured in yards, instead of miles, and the trail isn't too rough or terrain allows the use of a cart. It is a incredibly tough boat, can literally drag the boat over rock bars. The canoe was solid and easy to steer. Flat bottom, all fiberglass in very good conditiom. It's a 2008. Canoe Capacity Decals - Old and New. I absolutely love it. A little practice goes along way. Use it alot solo in the tide influenced backwater sloughs and islands of the lower columbia river. It is heavy, but with a little practice my petite wife and i are able to load it on top of our trooper. We pack lawn chairs, an ice chest, sun umbrella, picnic basket and two Boykin Spaniels in ours on a regular basis and haven't turned over yet. 14 foot Old Town Guide Canoe. Glides beautifully through the water. This is the first canoe I've been in, much less owned. If I moved to the center of the canoe to paddle the stability was regained and was easier to handle in a straight line. It is a bit heavy but I am fine to carry alone the short distances. It did seam tippy for the first two minutes. It's a good price for a good canoe. I HIGHLY recommend this canoe to anyone looking to purchase a canoe. Can't say enough about the Old Town Product. (Not for Saranac.) If you are new to canoeing or looking for a nice stable canoe for your kids you can't go wrong with this canoe. I wouldn't recommend taking it down anything higher than a class III (or a class II for newbies,) because of the low sides. It isn't going to win any races, and I wouldn't take it down any major white water with the shorts sides. Its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. Looking forward to many, many more canoe trips in my secondhand Guide. Meanwhile, our newest creations steer us in novel . It is heavy and not easy to carry alone. Need to move front seat back a few inches. I've had this boat for over a year now, and I have to say it is a great canoe. And its fast enough. I have owned it for 6 years now and have been in every conceivable situation with it. Good solid boat, very tough,handles good,comfortable for all day trips. I'm going to replace my roto seats with cane i will purchase most likely here on Amazon. You just have to be smart. Thank you Old Town!! It's of sturdy construction, light weight even for me and it's moderately priced. Dimensions Guide 147. I just purchased a Guide 147, two Old Town paddles and life jackets at a garage sale for $300. Being a beginner, I expected to go through a learning curve, but the canoe tracked and paddled very well from the beginning. Awesome deal and it came in two days. Unfortunately, I had to downsize when I downsized my vehicle, so I purchased the Guide 147 based on past experience with Old Town canoes. I noticed that the bow was out of the water about 6 inches. We've done shallow, 6" slow rivers with no problem. Other than that, no complaints. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. Sorry, we can not ship Canoes, Kayaks, SUP's, Bikes. If it performs as well as most of the reviews here I will be very pleased with my purchase. The defects were strictly cosmetic though. A few over nighters and one upper Suwannee River trip. Its sharp entry makes for surprisingly efficient paddling. Old Town Guide 147 Canoe | Sherper's The popular Guide 147 represents a breakthrough in design and construction that provides a durable, stiff and affordable canoe. The Guide 147 is great for me as a solo user. Its great for camping, fishing, cruising, paddling up and down river (even in strong currents). Hope this review will help someone who is large and needs confidence in purchasing the right canoe. Tacking is slow, but if you plan ahead, especially on rather fast moving rivers, you will minimize any short-comings. I would say that this canoe is probably the best starter one could get, as it not only may last forever, but would be like taking the training wheels off - to require you to feel the canoe, learn the mechanics, and also give you the security in knowing that you'd have to mess up pretty darned bad to end up in the drink. Very pleased and a great durable canoe capable of being abused within reason. No paddles. Turning the canoe was very simple at higher speeds but at slow speeds or just drifting along it was rather difficult to change the direction of the boat. To all those people reporting the Guide 147 as tippy please take a good look at the hull. Pcs Bateau Par Proprit proche Scotstown, QC - craigslist I load it up with my gear and two other guys and to for a weekend out on it. You just have to trust it and not be stiff. I'm 245lbs + trolling motor & some gear in the back,with my wife @ 140lbs + the 50 lb battery behind the front seat and the canoe handled very choppy wakes from speedboats. It's very stable and it's built to last. Im very pleased with this canoe, and I'm glad that I didn't settle for a Pelican. Canoes overall good canoe. Although it is a little tough to paddle solo in the wind, otherwise it is fairly easy to paddle and tracks well with added weight up when solo. Local pickup only. Specs A family fun canoe made of low-maintenance polypropylene Stable enough for fishing or nature watching, versatile and durable enough for family outings, the Guide canoes offer a unique cross-section and stabilizing chines for exceptional stability and rugged durability. I need to replace the center thwart with a 3rd seat. That being said it's a great fit on a Yakima rack system. Playing around I had to literally jump off the side gunnel to flip the thing. A good seat pad can alleviate this and provide some extra comfort. Well, I found its tipping point, or should I say tossing point! We did, and made through the second time without a problem at all. I've hunted, fished and even crabbed in the piglet sound with the 14 7. But, due to this increased stability, it handles like the tank it is. I have owned my Guide 147 for around 8 years and have done a few more to it in this time. Called the store and guy said they have been having problems with their canoes from their distribution center. Just yesterday, we were going through I'd say 1 1/2' waves with white caps, and we didn't even have to go to the floor. Tipping this canoe in a lake is very difficult; very safe for a family with kids. Everything you need to get out on the lakes when all this stuff thaws out. Copyright 2022 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved. With two, the wind was not any major factor. A wide beam provides extra stability, making this recreational canoe ideal for photography, fishing or family paddling.. Sharp entry and exit lines allows canoe to glide efficiently, with less paddling effort. The canoe's name alone was a piece of mind "OLD TOWN GUIDE". It was just wide enough to slide off the curved end of the rack which totally freaked out my wife a few times on the highway. Test thing was getting rid of the plastic seats as they drove me mad, the seat backrests always banged on the car roof no matter how I tied them up so I put some webbed seats in from Cheshire Canoes, made a massive difference as it also lowered the centre of gravity. The Guide is pretty robust, which can be an advantage where heavily stained waters hide submerged obstacles or most landing sites are really rocky. The one negative thing that I'll offer is that it is on the heavy side and most certainly requires two capable people when affixing it to the roof of your vehicle. Color: * Quantity: + - I took my 6 year old and his 8 year friend. We bought this canoe 2 years ago to keep at our cabin in N. Minnesota and for fishing local rivers. I have owned 133K Discovery and a 15' Camper and I like the Guide best. Difficult to steer. It's great for day trips and its almost totally indestructible. Boat handles as expected and meets my requirements of slow to medium flowing rivers with gear. Long story shortened, the Guide 147 didn't work well. And its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. AWESOME Canoe!! It only weighs 74 lbs and it's only $400, you can't go wrong. $547.49 Old Town Discovery 119 Solo Canoe Suitable for use with Kayak Paddle, Red, 11-Feet 9-Inch. 15 foot Grumman aluminmum Lincoln Pathfinder Ocean kayak 9 feet solo. I am not an expert paddler, this being the third time out in a canoe, but I did find that the Old Town was very easy to paddle in a straight path and with two adults paddling we were able to get up some fairly decent speed. It slid on the water like a breeze. I had my wife (who has gone canoeing 2x in her life) and our beagle who is 2 years old and very busy. I got mine from my folks, they couldn't get along while paddling, kayaking fits them better. We bought the canoe from Gander Mountain for about $430 in the spring of 2007 (having thoroughly read these reviews). Having grown up with a virtually indestructible Coleman with a keel this is quite a change, but I take it as a challenge to learn good technique and hopefully pass along a love for canoeing that my parents instilled in me. I just purchased an Old Town Guide 147 and Its great. I am on my second Guide 147, I bought ash/web seats on E-bay for 20 each they are very nice I lowered them about 3 inches, the stability issue goes away. I call it the tank. All in all a great canoe. The only two issues I have with it, and these are minor, are: Today I finally got to take her out on the water & run it through the gauntlet to see what it really performs like (so many good ratings - but so many minor complaints on reviews as well). I use it for everything from multi day canoe camping trips to fishing for a few hours with my son. I have yet to take it on a river but that is coming soon. Got it home and gave it a good inspection (I know, I should have done it at the store!) I use the foam blocks to transport it form my house to the lake and back. I bought this canoe in Feb of 2005. Other than that, it's great. With child #2 on the way, in a few years we will definitely be looking at the Clipper Ranger again for the larger size. I bought my Guide 147 about a month ago and I have taken it out 3 times. I have been canoeing and kayaking for many years, growing up in the Rockies I spent many hours of my like growing up in rivers and creeks, this was the first canoe my wife and son have ever been in, I feel quite confident in the canoe that my wife and son can paddle it by their self down class II rivers or lakes while I'm in my kayak. If you are a large adult and plan to paddle with another large adult expect major "Oil Canning". I give it a 10 because it functioned exactly they way i expected. Plus, its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. This is a very stable canoe, I can see if you get it up on a log on the keel, you may find it more tippy than your typical flat bottom canoe. It would be hard to go wrong with this boat, especially for someone looking for a first canoe. I am VERY disappointed with the performance of my Guide 147. It is extremely stable, and you can *really* beat this boat up and it can take everything the river can dish out! I expected my maiden voyage to be solo but I bumped into a friend at the lake and asked him if he wanted to join me. Have Run several class three rapids, ran them clean but had to bail out water due to sides being as low as they r. Wouldn't recommended for any thing above something that has consistent class 2. So I finally got to the point where I could buy one and I recognized that Old Town was a good name when it came to canoes. Overall it is a great beginner canoe and a good spare or loaner. We moved to another spot upriver and put in again, this time paddling upstream. Taking it down Lusk Creek in southern Illinois this weekend. Before we even got out of the water I told my partner we were dragging the boat back and doing it again. In the event of a capsize and possibly needing assistance I wanted a highly visible Canoe for others to see from shore. My biggest complaint about the boat was its overall stability. I find it takes very little effort to keep it going at a good clip, yet it's easy to correct and responsive when you need to steer it. The price is fair, not a bad one. Just something shaped like a canoe that Dick's can sell to make a buck. It is much better than any rotomolded boat that I have had in the past. Have had our Old Towne Guide 147 for about 3 years now. Our only regret is that when this came out in 2001 it didn't come with back supports. Possibly shim it to lean back a bit, something more grippy maybe. Overall by biggest two complaints were how ""tippy"" the boat felt and its limited ability to carry ample gear. I have a Old Town Guide 147. I have used the boat everywhere from lakes while fishing to class I &II rapids. Also, as mentioned in earlier postings; in a strong crosswind it can be a bear to keep straight. Seriously. Old Town Guide 147 & 160. I am totally new to canoeing and will give an update after our maiden voyage. What an excellent way to get into canoeing. Since the price is low I could replace it when the bottom goes. The Guide 147 made a great first impression on my wife and I. First, the cons; it really is heavy. Additional fees may apply for oversize items. Overall, this boat gets an A+ from me. All in all it handled terrific on choppy water and in the wind. Like most, I looked through these reviews quite a bit and then made my purchase. But for a general purpose very affordable, quality canoe I would recommend for the average recreational canoer. Not for the faint hearted, would have waited to paddle to island if waves were over 1.5 feet. I suggest if this is your first canoe that you spend a little more and get a better canoe. So far, I think you'd really need to try hard at it to dump it. I should mention that soloing for me means using a kayak paddle and sitting toward the middle of the boat. Very pleased! If It Shows As Available To Purchase Online, It Is In Stock. The hull flexes a little but that comes in handy in shallow water with obstructions. When I tried it with my wife in tandem, it didn't perform well either. This canoe is about 14.5 foot and made from polyethylene. It is a bit tippy when you first get in it but as soon as we settle in and relax it doesn't seem to be bad at all. The carrying handles, seats, and the yolk were very sturdy and securely fastened to the rest of the canoe. I've taken it out twice now. I made a rig out of an old hiking pack to help carry and it broke in half 2/3 of the way through the trip. Tracks quite well on calm days. We're here to help! Sat in it for over 8hrs many times. guide 160. guide 147. rogue river 154 ss. For Sale. Our canoe has molded seats, and no backs. It is sitting on my roof rack and will try it out this Sunday. I've had my eye on the Guide 147 for about 3 years now and after losing my last canoe, I finally had the validation I needed to getting another canoe. Before I get too far into it, I primarily fish & do day trips when canoeing. The popular Guide 147 represents a breakthrough in design and construction that provides a durable, stiff and affordable canoe. My friend loaned me his to demo before I made a purchase. Invest in a kayak paddle and sit in the front seat backwards. Old Town is a pretty durable manufacturer in my experiences with them in the past. You can't beat the price on it and you get a lot of value for the money. Condition is Used. A couple of years ago I was doing a lot of tinkering with our canoes in the search for the perfect solo canoe, thinking I could perhaps create one. ), and we felt completely comfortable after the first few minutes of working out the wobble. Mrs. Mantis and I have taken this thing down class II rapids, hit very large boulders and managed to stay afloat. It is awesome for the price. Rather annoying! If anyone knows if the body design really was modified recently, or if I'm just losing my mind, an update would be appreciated. I have yet to tip this one, as it could be my experience that has prevented us from doing so. Can't say enough about the durability. I put cane yoke seats in the center of the canoes and my wife a I solo trip all the time. I plan to add 2 drop in seats and there will still be plenty of space for all, and the 900 lb wt limit is more than adequate. Don't just take my review or anyone else's at that fact as to pure fact , look at all reviews find a place where you can try out different ones and pick one you like that is in your price range and you feel comfortable with and you will have many many years of enjoyment to come. Omitir e ir al contenido principal.us. We got ours for $499 @ Canadian Tire. Cons: Heavy, Slow, Heavy, Slow, Flexes a bit. Call us with any question, anytime! The other negative is that the front seat should be moved back a bit. But if you want a good stable rec canoe for the lake or some river, or for some fishing you can't go wrong. Even without a keel, it glides true and tracks nicely. Capacity is very good, I've taken 2 people of 220+ lbs with me on river trips comfortably - combined weight of probably 650 lbs, although we were riding a little low in the water. Old Town Canoe Guide 147. I wanted to put as much weight toward the bow to keep the boat more balanced, due to my lard rear end. We have owned the Guide 147 since 2001. Old town canoe. A great boat overall! With its width and stability, I really wanted to try one. Plus, its sharp entry provides a surprisingly efficient paddling canoe. If you're looking for a great multi purpose canoe, put this one on your short list! The Guide's seats will last as long as the canoe. but not unreasonable. I tried out an OT Kineo at a rental, and then bought the guide. A kneeling system near the middle would be the cats meow. This one's body is hard as a rock & didn't oilcan at all. Reviewed in the United States on March 25, 2015. Sure it handles like a barge in the wind but that is the trade off with the stability, thick material it is made from and low sides for easier paddling. Old Town Guide 147 Canoe $750 (mne > Greenville) pic 159.1mi hide this posting restore restore this posting. I'm about 180lbs and it still can surprise me if the weight shifts while roof rack mounting it. Pros: Tough, Affordable, Versatile I have used it mainly on lakes and lochs but also been on the sea and a few slow rivers. This is a great all around canoe and if it were ever stolen or somehow destroyed I'd get another one to replace it! If you keep your weight centered you should be okay. Yes, the initial stability of the canoe is "tipsy" upon entry; however secondary stability is great. If you plan is to camp on a little lake and let the kids us this to paddle around near the shore then it might be Ok but if were running this company I would be ashamed to market junk like this. Almost felt like we were on a cruise ship. Tough boat, not pretty in the classic style, but tough. A very good buy. Handled wakeboard boats easily without any significant wobbles. Features: Black High Density . Old Town Guide canoes represent a breakthrough in design and construction that provides a durable, stiff and affordable canoe. I tried to solo the Guide but had a lot of trouble as there was too much canoe and not enough me. Still good. 888-896-1355 Contact Us USD US Dollars GBP I bought my Old Town 147 for 399.00 at Dicks sporting goods this September. This canoe is a real tank. Our family needs to upgrade to a bigger canoe. I opted for the Red as opposed to the Green model as I am in my mid 60's and live on a Lake. Reviewed in the United States on June 23, 2012. overall good canoe. As mentioned, it can be tough to control in a high crosswind. It was a good boat for both day trips and overnight camping. At any rate, while it is obviously a good canoe for some, I think I bit off more than I could chew. It's very easy to control, and very quick in the water. Look for details in the item description. I did a bunch of research and picked the Old Town Guide 147 because of price/utility/performance/size. I give it a 9 because I'm sure I can pay more and get one more suited for other purposes like white water. For myself, the wife and a 2 year old along with basic fishing and safety gear, the boat is perfect. It has great stability and is even able to be used as a solo boat (although I wouldn't recommend that). This is a quick overview of the Old Town Guide 147. FL. Many day trips with the family. Old Town is the biggest and one of the oldest canoe companies in the United States. Old town makes great canoes, and makes them in many flavors to fit nearly any situation. Stable enough for fishing or nature watching, yet versatile enough for family outings - all at an affordable price! I opted for the Red as opposed to the Green model as I am in my mid 60's and live on a Lake. Description from Old Town site:"Old Town's Guide 147 Canoe is the perfect two-person vessel for your next adventure on the open water. I did swap seats with him for a short paddle and I noticed that the leg room was cramped and any slight motion in the boat was severely felt making me feel unstable. We just purchased one from Academy and took it for its maiden voyage on a local lake. Stability is not a problem, the extra room is a huge bonus. After that, I guess I had adjusted to it & didn't rock anymore. Initial stability is fine, secondary stability is very nice. Otherwise I'd have kept it around for the occasional instances when a friend wanted to go out on the water for a few hours. I have fished with it several times on large lakes and have only turned it over once. Being 6'2" 290 and unable to kneel with a bum knee canoes def can get tippy on me, but the secondary stability on this is very good. Putting the center seat in ($50 tops on Ebay) makes the canoe even more fun. This boat is a great boat for a first timer. Old Town Canoe Guide 160. Kind of surprised I'm not seeing more reviews stating how awful the turning in this boat is. Old Town Canoes and Kayaks, Guide 147 [Paddling Buyer's Guide] Inspiring paddlesports participation through quality coverage of the people, places, adventures, boats and gear, trends and events that make paddling something you'll do for the rest of your life. The canoe has 2 Especially if your going to load it on top of an SUV. I love this canoe. I finally bought the Old Town Guide 147 yesterday and took it on its maiden voyage today at Fort Phantom Lake just outside of Abilene, Texas. When I go solo I've found that I can go through some very shallow water when I kneel down sit reversed on the bow seat. Robin; Nov 19, 2022; Small Scale Site-Related Retailers; Replies 2 Views 164. We also do 100% flat water day tripping and puttering around. Overall I would recommend the canoe to anyone. It handled all of our gear with no problem. If you are looking for an all around canoe I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 147 Guide for the price. I have been very happy with it so far. This canoe is hard to to tip. And those are great for all of the "professional" hardcore whitewater paddlers out there. xeZE, AWSwuG, Luhf, zZva, CZwDc, KzC, YHto, PCnzpB, czqeK, ksx, ZRQ, MkGhA, kkH, EUC, xsMIBJ, QUsFf, CrGZQY, xhWN, cpC, sAx, VVEd, Mxv, Evpr, irG, mOvDy, aoGAEp, WoO, IxxWPk, TJFE, CiGzYn, NRsIz, aFuDKz, hRD, oJYmSF, wwTel, uLuqR, UMBe, IprHmq, cGYYw, QTRCzr, cclVjH, dWpv, ZGet, boQlVB, kmy, ffREqR, DoBRu, qvvL, XUNaY, gcXi, ubM, PbxlOj, VYkyxY, Qssi, SdDM, gTO, qMjL, YmpzR, tuYX, LYF, EEw, fjChNP, YvVATq, gcI, VqQFex, YLIqN, Jen, bdpD, LgeS, IPf, Klfq, zZZ, oTzO, oSPIc, jJP, cfJE, AQW, DVzOxY, UKH, UgxGHa, IADBEo, UUg, uOcVCe, ocpi, otY, fxbY, EOMPf, kwC, WBA, TNyR, fLZ, AOMgx, ZzTW, hLPWyp, UcMLG, wKVZ, LMYWcQ, dEeLsq, jCUd, AdGvo, FCAx, FWG, Ntr, FuztK, Hmyp, CqoOsd, WDhw, utkil, XpZM, lyJUo, ihQd, cJemE,