Carefully place the fishcakes into the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden, turning carefully with a fish slice. Eb . Form the salmon/potato mixture into eight thick patties. Great to hear, Dan hope you enjoy them! The salmon dinner you make one night also works as leftovers for a tasty lunch the next dayTikTok salmon rice bowl anyone? Season well and shape into 4 fishcakes. I do hope you get a chance to visit an English pub some day! Put the seasoned flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into separate flat . I just have to convince the kids to eat itbut never mind, more for us as my husband declared. I quartered the quantities, and made them into minis. 1 Firstly, have all your ingredients ready, drain off the cans of salmon, potato and peas. Not only are these fishcakes quick and easy to make, but they are also a great way to use up leftovers. By: Rattan Direct, These fantastic sugar and spice donut holes are perfect for passing around when youre cooking for groups and/or planning long trips in (). Sorry not to be more help. Then place it in a baking dish. When you want to eat them, defrost in separate layers and cook as you would from fresh. Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. Hi Amanda, I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to get your fishcakes to retain their shape and I am a little stumped as that has never happened to me. Drizzle in fish sauce and mix to combine. Combine the mash, salmon, lemon zest and juice, spring onions, parsley and Parmesan. Learn how your comment data is processed. Thanks, Thank you for your lovely comments about my recipe I am so glad you like it. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. ), 6-ingredient gooey Swedish chocolate cake (kladdkaka), Halloumi Kebabs With Chorizo, Tomatoes And Honey Lime Dressing, Sausage, butternut squash & kale gnocchi bake, 30-Minute Instant Pot Tomato Soup (With Stovetop Version!). Eb x. I use tinned salmon here because i think, strangely enough, that's how they taste best (if it's good enough for marguerite costa, it's good enough for me) and it means you can have the. Drain and stand for 5 minutes to dry out and then mash. They are super popular with my daughter who calls them so fine which in Switzerland means they are the best. Either way, at least they will taste good!! I am wondering, either you are perhaps using a little too much oil. But its lovely we can enjoy more fresh food now. Another thing you could try is adding a little flour to the mix before rolling and frying, as I suspect they could be losing their shape due to being a bit too wet/soft in texture. In fact, I think its well worth your while actually creating some leftovers! Form the salmon mixture into -cup 'cakes'. Place the mashed potato in a bowl. Your mum makes fish cake just the way my mum did tinned salmon and dried parsley floured. peeled and diced (about 4 smallish potatoes), I used 3 portioned fillets (or use another kind of fish, or canned/tinned salmon or tuna), fresh & finely chopped (or use other fresh herbs such as basil and oregano), about an ounce (I used a sharp cheddar but any strong cheese works e.g. I am so bummed over this, as I love making these, but plating up is a let-down. Stir thoroughly making sure the mixture retains its coarse texture. If using fresh peas, pod them into a bowl, then leave to one side. Freeze it and use it for the sauce when you make. Thank you for this lovely review, Margaret. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Thank you. Carefully invert onto the lined baking sheet. I like panko because its easy and crisps up nicely. Submerge in boiling salted water for 3 minutes and then drain, Whisk together the lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil and combine with the steamed greens, Once the starfish cakes are cooked through, serve immediately on a bed of the steamed greens. STEP 2. Wrap the potatoes in paper towels and microwave for 7 minutes. You could definitely make these for a dinner party starter if you wanted to. Are you following the recipe exactly? Place on a high heat and bring to the boil. Mix the fishcake ingredients in a large bowl, Turn the mixture onto a floured surface, flatten out to a thickness of 2.5cm. easy, delicious, stress-free, family food, All Recipes Easy Entertaining Easy Midweek Meal Ideas Main Courses Popular Recipes Soups, Salads & Light Meals. Here's the thing, I'm not very well guys. Actually yes, you can. Salmon Fishcake Hello everybody, it is Louise, welcome to my recipe site. Method: . Never made fishcakes before but would love to try this recipe now that Ive seen it. Place remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs on a plate and dip both sides of the salmon cakes into crumbs. I am not sure why your fishcakes are looking melted and flat. Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until tender (about 15 minutes). Remove the fish from the oven, check that it's around 60 and is thoroughly cooked. Dip each in the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. It shouldn't be a smooth mixture. The only thing is, in recent years fish cakes on menus are usually fancy. Remove from the heat, drain thoroughly and mash coarsely using a fork (the mixture shouldn't be smooth). Cook in boiling water, about 20 minutes until cooked, easily poked in with a sharp knife. I think Ill start saying that too! Add the vegetable mixture and mix well. Eb x. 3 days ago yummly.com Show details . Instructions. , Please enable targetting cookies to show this banner, 50 g fresh or frozen peas, 600 g potatoes, a bunch of fresh chives , (15g), 2 x 180g tins of salmon , from sustainable sources, 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon plain flour , plus extra for dusting, 1 large free-range egg. So this is the sort of fish cake I wanted to recreate. When buying salmon . Eb . Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. 1 knob of butter, melted. Eb x, I love salmon fishcakes. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients down to the panko flakes, add a few tablespoons of panko flakes to the mix to bind ingredients together. Have fun! Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x, Thanks Corinareally recommend the flour only method really quick and still super tasty! The crunchy, the crisp edges and big bite. In a large bowl, combine salmon, green onion, chili, garlic, ginger, and red bell pepper and, using your hands, mix well to combine. Or use the same quantity of tinned salmon, or any other tinned or fresh fish. The first step is to take your canned salmon and put it in a large bowl. . Cover with foil and bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or until the salmon just turns opaque and flakes apart when pressed. Fish Cakes. Using a large star cutter, cut portions of the mix into star shapes. Flake salmon with a fork and place in a large bowl with potatoes, butter, and mustard and mix well. Now the fish cakes are easier to shape and they hold together well while cooking. Instructions. Into separate lipped bowls, put some plain flour, 1 lightly beaten medium egg and 75g (3oz) dried breadcrumbs. not too much potato, and some nice additions that dont overshadow the delicately-flavoured fish. Finally, using a cup measuring cup, scoop patties onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at . Drain on paper towel-lined plate. Roast until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Place the mash in a bowl, add the salmon and flake in the mackerel. Cover with foil and . Im not sure what country you are in, but I am in the UK and I typically use the type of potatoes that are sold as baking potatoes rather than a specific variety. Drain well, then return to the pan to steam-dry for 1 min. She has been making these fishcakes for decades and, although Ive adapted her recipe slightly, the key time-saving principle remains the same instead of using a combination of flour, egg and breadcrumbs to coat the fishcakes, I just use a little wholemeal flour. Form into little round cakes and dip each one in some breadcrumbs for a coating. 3. Fish cakes! Add salmon, egg and mixed herbs to celeriac mash and mix thoroughly. Could you offer some advice, perhaps? How would you defrost and reheat them? Your email address will not be published. The recipe is actually based on my mothers old recipe, which, like so many classic British fishcake recipes, is all about being frugal and making a small piece of stretch to feed hungry children on a budget (potato being much cheaper than salmon!) Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220C, fan 200C, and line a baking sheet with nonstick baking paper. In a large skillet, melt butter. Mix gently so as not to break down the fish too much. Hooray! TikTok Theory: The Chinese Restaurant 3.5 Star Rule, Chatham Cod, Crab, Favas and Pickled Mussels, 14 TikTok Food Hacks that Will Change How You Cook (and Eat), Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon Party Cocktails and Recipes. The mixture is moist so just roll them in panko crumbs, hold them in your hands and gently rotate the ball to press the crumbs on, then drop into the pan and flatten gently with a spatula. Mix the fish, oatcake crumbs, beaten egg and herbs (plus optional ingredients) into a bowl before shaping the mixture into patties & rolling in the flour. Typically theyre Thai fish cakes. 3 Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. You will need the fishcake mixture, a small bowl with dried breadcrumbs, a small . You can freeze them for up to 3 months. These fishcakes are also a great make-ahead option simply make the fishcakes ahead of time and store in the fridge, then fry them just before you need them. Place fish on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. My favourite wine match with these fishcakes is a crisp Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley in France, or else one from Chile or New Zealand. For the sauce, combine the mayo with sriracha and then . Remove the fish from the water and dry well with kitchen paper, then break into large flakes, season and gently mix into the potato. Easy Salmon Patties (aka Salmon Cakes!) Add 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. These are nothing fancy, but are full of delicately flavoured salmon and fresh, subtle flavours. Eb x, I have been making fish cakes for years. When preparing salmon, the following guidelines should be followed: Before freezing, rinse and pat the salmon dry. Add the parsley, lemon juice if using, and a little salt and pepper to the mash and gently mix together, taking care not to break the fish up too much. Half-fill a large saucepan with cold water and add a tiny pinch of salt. Try this quinoa salad with feta, fennel and blueberries. Add salmon, breadcrumbs, eggs, lemon zest, mayo, chives, dill, and a couple large pinches of Kosher salt to a large bowl. Take care, I just made these a few weeks ago myself! Heat the oil in a medium frying pan, on medium heat. Yes, you can use plain flour. Bake for 20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Stumbled:), Aw, thanks Monika they do taste faband so easy to make! A must try! But hey, as your hubby so rightly said all the more for you!! I love the idea of adding garlic chives and good tip about the potatoes! Mix well, then form into 8 cakes with your hands. x, You are so right, we are so lucky to have so much fresh produce available and affordable these days. Repeat with the rest of the fishcakes, adding a little more oil and . Grate one half of the red onion. Preheat your oven to 120C / 100C fan / gas mark / 250F. So pleased you liked them, Debbie, and thank you so much for taking the time to let me know. Pile any remaining salt mixture on top of the fillet. Serve with French fries and a green salad. To make the fish cakes, steam the potatoes for 30 minutes or until tender. This is recipe is just as delicious made with tinned tuna, or you could swap the regular potatoes for a few sweet potatoes. Using wholemeal flour still gives them a little bit of crunch, but means they are a whole lot quicker, easier and less messy to make than their breadcrumbed cousins!! 1. Mix with the salmon in the bowl and season really well (that's the key to decent fish cakes). Then dip each one in to the flour, then egg and coat in breadcrumb. Heat oil on a medium in a pan and once hot drop the Salmon Fish Cakes and cook until crisp on one side. Then keep them well covered in the fridge for 1 to 2 days until ready to cook. Thank you so much for reporting back. Capers are also a lovely addition if you happen to have any lurking in the fridge. I added a few chopped garlic chives to the mixture, from the garden.So easy if you cooked the potatoes with previous days dinner. STEP 2. Bring back to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Of course, if youd prefer to make these Easy Salmon Fishcakes with tinned salmon, you can absolutely do that. Drain and mash. STEP 2. parmesan), (roughly) I used Japanese panko, but any work. Actually, I have my mum to thank for this recipe. 10 Best Fish Cakes with Canned Salmon Recipes | Yummly . Set the working surface for shaping the salmon fishcakes. This is my second attempt to make them and the only thing it`s puts me off to produce this to the family is the look of mines.Surely it`s something I do wrong whit my technique. Happy Easter, Helen , Hi Izzy. Boil the potatoes in salted water and once tender, drain them well. , These look so comforting! Divide mixture into eight portions and form into balls. Cook for approximately 1 minutes on each side. Test your plating skills and try creating an underwater scene using the vegetables. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Place the salmon fillets on a baking tray and add salt, lemon juice, and a smear of butter. These fish cakes freeze really well. Fresh parsley only existed when it was growing in the garden. . Preheat your oven to 200C (180C Fan). Other than that I am not sure. Remove the potatoes from the steamer and put them in a pan. Add the mash to the bowl, then mix together until really well combined. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. They freeze really well. 2. Shape into salmon patties then rest for 30 minutes. Use one hand for the wet and one hand for the dry; this way you don't end up with a mess, needing to wash your hands. Cook gently until soft but not browned. But if thats just not quite enough for you, feel free to increase the quantity of fish. Lemon juice is a must! Once cooked remove and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Season to taste with pepper. Meanwhile. Once cooked, drain the potatoes and peas in a colander over the sink then leave them to cool completely. Mix until well combined and then stir in the salmon. Do let me know how you get on if you try them Eb x. Hi Eb, I finally got around to making these fishcakes yesterday and they were a hit! Meanwhile. Add the white pepper, makrut lime leaves, egg, fish sauce, cornflour and sugar. Yum! Fry salmon cakes over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper; 200 g smoked salmon, cut into pieces; Defrost in the fridge and cook for an extra 5 minutes or so to ensure a golden, crispy coating. I have a feeling my picky son might like them! Directions. Drizzle a little olive oil over your fish and rub to coat evenly. 3. In turn, dip each cake in the flour . In a food processor pulse the salmon fillet until roughly minced. They made a lovely light lunch, perfect for this time of year when we tend to eat too much. Do let me know how it goes, if you try themand what your hubby thinks!! Please read my disclosure for more info. Flake the chilled salmon into a large bowl. 2. Roughly mash them - they don't have to be smooth. Eb . Salmon fishcakes are kicked up a notch by adding mustard and mashed peas to the potato! Dip into beaten egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Flake the fish in a bowl with the ash and add the onions and parsley. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. STEP 1. Mix well. Ive used salmon of course, but that doesnt mean you have to. These are delicious and I order them in a heartbeat, but whatever happened to plain old fish cakes just fish and potato with a few flavourings and a lovely crispy exterior? Welcome to anithajaganskitchen.These tasty salmon fishcakes are flaky, tender and so flavorful with a Indian twist. Could be that the mash is most I mix it with butter and milk and a pinch of salt..I had some leftover salmon and mash, I used that last time. Simply fry and cool the fishcakes. Add some mayonnaise to the mixture to help bind it together. A Couple Cooks. They arent posh, but theyre a delicious quick and easy pantry meal full of subtle flavours. Put the salmon, potato, spring onion and tomato puree into a bowl. Set aside and let it cool. Flake the salmon into the potatoes, add the parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. The cost per serving below is generated by Whisk.com and is based on costs in individual supermarkets. Or use a simple store-bought coleslaw. Ah Martin thanks so much for telling me this. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Or perhaps your potatoes are too wet?? Now you need to wet your hands. Saute until softened and golden (7-9 minutes) then remove from heat. Then simply fry as per the recipe below. Smoked fish would work brilliantly, or even canned/tinned tuna. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer your salmon for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Flatten each ball to about 1 inch thick. To coat the salmon fishcakes, simply dust the fishcake mixture in a little flour, then fry in sunflower oil for a couple of minutes on each side. Dip the patties into the egg before coating in the remaining breadcrumbs. Then drain on crumpled greaseproof paper and keep warm. Drain the salmon in a sieve over the sink . Put the rocket, capers and shallot in a bowl. Shape on a plate into a 20cm round and press three-quarters of the breadcrumbs into the top and sides. It turns out an afternoon of drinking . This recipe is so palatable! mayonnaise, canned salmon, fresh parsley, plain panko, Dijon mustard and 5 more. Thats lovely! Place the fish cakes in the pan. STEP 3. Gather the offcuts and use to make more cakes. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x, Thanks, Kirsty they really are very yummyand so easy! Flake it well with a fork into tiny pieces. Dec 5, 2021 - Easy Salmon Fishcakes make a quick and healthy dinner with loads of flavour, made with fresh coriander, dijon and spring onions. Remove the fish from the grill and put on a plate. This salmon fishcake recipe is served alongside a zesty lemon and mint yoghurt - perfect for dipping! Add the mashed (or grated potato), the diced spring onions, the nicely cut coriander, lemon zest, tsp salt and finally some black pepper. Peel off the skins and throw them away, then flake the fish and add it to the mashed potato. Oooh I will be interested to hear how it goes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat enough vegetable oil in a saucepan for deep . I was only saying to Miss GF the other day that when I was little, fresh salmon was not really very available and we used to share a tin between 5! Using a large star cutter, cut portions of the mix into star shapes. I love these stainless steel trays. Its funny, I love tinned tuna and eat it quite often, but tinned salmon Im quite as keen onnot idea why that should be! Serve with lemon wedges and a green salad. Peel potato and cut into 2 to 2.5 cm sized cubes. What type are you using? Simply put the cooked and cooled salmon fishcakes in a lidded container, separating layers with greaseproof paper, and place in the freezer, where they will keep for up to 1 month. Dust in flour. Turn the mixture onto a floured surface, flatten out to a thickness of 2.5cm. And youre right Thai fish cakes while delicious are totally different! However, feel free to use something else ordinary breadcrumbs, crushed crackers, pretzels, cornflakes, tortilla chips or even potato chips!Its also easy to make this meal gluten free by using either gluten free breadcrumbs or one of the above options but of course choose a gluten free version. Drain the salmon and mix with the cold potato along with the parsley leaves. Normally I make a stir-fry or giant fish fingers, but it's cold, it's wet,. In a large bowl mix together the minced salmon, cooked onions, dry breadcrumbs, parsley, dill, lemon zest and juice, egg, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, cover the potatoes with water, bring to the boil then simmer for about 20 minutes or until soft when prodded with a fork. Place in a plastic lidded container (with baking paper between the layers if you have more than one layer). These look SO yummy! Using your hands, mix well to ensure spices are well incorporated. Once the water is boiling, carefully add the potatoes, bring back to the boil, then turn the heat down to medium and simmer gently for around 10 minutes, or until cooked through, adding the peas for the last 2 minutes. So Im excited to have something new to try! Once I start cooking them, they become shapeless and when I try to flip them, they break/ deform even more. Cover in breadcrumbs and then place to one side whilst you do the rest. Oh how times have changed.. we are so lucky! Peel the potatoes and mash them. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with boiling water. Love the idea of serving these with peas and grilled tomatoeswe sometimes have ours with vegetables too, usually peas, sweetcorn and carrotsor maybe some broccoli. Place the prepared fishcakes on a plate, while you make the rest. Sprinkle a little flour over a clean work surface and onto a large plate. Just coating the fishcakes in flour is a much simpler option than breadcrumbing them, but if it simply must be breadcrumbs for you then you can do that with these Easy Salmon Fishcakes too. 2 In a bowl, mash up the potatoes, then add the peas and mash again, to Tip the wholemeal flour onto a plate and gently roll the balls in the flour until evenly coated, then flatten to make fishcake shapes. Reserve the milk. Yes I am sure my mums recipe using tinned salmon and dried parsley was partly due to cost and also probably availability! If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today! Hi, do you think it would be ok to make these in the morning (apart from the frying) keep them in the fridge and then fry when family arrive? Follow me onTwitter,FacebookandInstagram. Dijon mustard, melted butter, ground black pepper, mayonnaise and 14 more. Meanwhile. Drain then return to the pan and lightly mash with the butter (I prefer to leave the potato a bit chunky). Spoon out the fish and set aside to cool. Sometimes its good to get back to basics but try to do it really well, hey! Eb x, I love fish and these fish cakes look delicious! Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. I love your version of fish cakes all classic flavors! Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs. 2 Cover with foil and bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or until the salmon just turns opaque and flakes apart when pressed. Im planning to try it out tonight. However, I can never get mine to retain their shape. Serve with peas. Divide the mixture into 8. 200g of potatoes. Heat up 3 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan for 1 minute and then pop 3 or 4 fishcakes into the pan. One by one, dip the fishcakes into the beaten egg and then into the matzo meal, sprinkling and dredging over as you go to help coat them. Fry the fishcakes in half an inch of sizzling oil, until golden brown all over. Instead, our salmon fishcake recipe uses breadcrumbs - and John West Wild Red Salmon, coriander, chillies, fish sauce, egg, flour and seasoning. Place the egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Dip each salmon patty into the flour, then beaten egg and finally back into the flour. Form into 8 patties; each about 1/2 inch thick. Turn and cook the other side to the same golden crunchy texture. Eb , Thanks for your reply. Drizzle oil all over tray. STEP 3. Hi there, glad you like the recipe! Place the salmon on a baking sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes until the salmon is cooked through. Place the onions, butter, and oil with a pinch of salt in a small frying pan. Carefully place the fishcakes into the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden, turning carefully with a fish slice. For more information about how we calculate costs per serving read our FAQS. STEP 3. Fish cakes are one of those dishes, just like fish pie, that grab my attention on a menu. Crack in the egg and season with a tiny pinch of pepper. 4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the fishcakes for 6 minutes or until golden brown. Making these for my 1 year old her first taste of salmon! Remove any bones, gristle and the skin and add it into the potato mash in flakes. Serve the fishcakes with some seasonal green veg or a fresh green salad and lemon wedges for squeezing over. The next day simply mix the mash and fish together with the parsley and some salt and pepper, then shape into fishcakes, coat with flour and fry hey prestoa meal in minutes!! Place the cod and salmon in a high sided baking tray with the quartered lemon, parsley stalks and a splash of white wine. Today, I'm gonna show you how to prepare a distinctive dish, salmon fishcake. Salmon farming in Norway a model for sustainability? Mix well. Just one question- can I use plain flour instead of wholemeal flour? Place the fish on a grill rack and grill skin-side up for 3 minutes, then the other way up for 6 minutes. Cant believe the kids wont eat it thoughwhats not to like about a fishcake??? Flake the salmon into the bowl with the potato, then add the lemon zest, mustard, fresh herbs, cheese, chili flakes, and mayonnaise. Home fish Basic Crispy Salmon Fish Cakes, Posted Apr 11, 2020 | Updated Apr 25, 2022 by Helen | 21 Comments |. A simple and really tasty fishcake recipe that's easy for the kids to help out with. Instructions. Eb x. Stir through gently, leaving flakes of salmon (rather than vigorously mixing salmon into tiny pieces). Set aside to cool. Hi Laura! I am wondering if it could be down to the type of potato you are using? Transfer the garlic to a large bowl. These are easy to make and yummy. Break salmon into smaller pieces; flake with a fork. Any kind of fish will do. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. My favourite part is the crispy exterior mmmmm! Hi and welcome to Easy Peasy Foodie! Could these be frozen? I love when you can mix lots of delicious thing together in a. bowl and then fry it up real crispy! They are super yummy and so easy! Cook in a frying pan, pre-heated with olive oil, for 5 minutes each side. Cook up some lovely fish with mashed potatoes and veg for dinner the day before you plan to make these Easy Salmon Fishcakes and make sure you make more fish and mash than you need on that day. Add salt, pepper and 2 tbsp of water and combine. I smiled when I saw that your mum made them with tinned salmon.. Flipping carefully half way. Hmm. Add the lemon zest, spring onions, dill and the hot-smoked salmon. Use your hands to 'slap' the mixture against the side of the bowl. Required fields are marked *. Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add the salmon to the bowl, using a fork to flake it into small chunks. Make them up to the point after youve added the breadcrumbs. Method. Add the eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, and thyme. I love a good fishcake and these Easy Salmon Fishcakes are my absolute favourite. Almost certainlywe are so lucky to have fresh fish so easily available these days, and for a reasonable pricenot to mention fresh parsley available in most supermarketswhen I was a little girl, that was definitely not a thing!! Add celeriac to a bowl with K.Quik and butter, blend to a smooth mash. Eb x, Oh my days Eb,this is inspired!! Gather the offcuts and use to make more cakes, Coat with some more breadcrumbs and brush with the melted butter, Place the cakes onto a slightly greased baking tray and cook for 8 minutes in the oven, turning halfway through the cooking time, Cut the pak choi in half lengthways. Shape the fishcake mix into 12 balls. The recipe is superb..I absolutely loved the taste, used oregano instead of parsley (I haven`t got any left) and added a tiny bit of diced onion. It makes me so happy to know my recipes are being made and enjoyedand you are so right about this time of yearits very good to have a few recipes like this up your sleeve to balance out all the rich meals etc. Hi Eb, this recipe looks amazing! 2. Fingers crossed it works out better this time! Use kitchen paper to scrape off the skins. The award came within six months of opening and the restaurant went on to be named restaurant of the year by Harden's Guide. Youve reminded me to make these again soon. Adjust the seasoning if needed. Remove from oven, cover with foil and rest ten minutes. Actually i still like tinned salmon perhaps because i have it very rarely. Simply coat in flour as per the recipe below then dip into egg and then breadcrumbs before frying. Defrost in the fridge and reheat as above. Made these fishcakes last nigh , delicious , very tasty , just perfect!! Dry the potatoes out on a medium heat for 5 minutes. green onions, egg, flour, cans salmon, green fish cakes, Dijon . Gently form the salmon mixture into patties. Ive never been to an English pub before but I would definitely order the fish cakes if they looked like this! Tip into a large bowl. Eb . Place 450g floury potatoes, cut into chunks, in a pan of water, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 12-15 mins until tender. Andy Waters helped put the Midlands on the gastronomic map when he won a Michelin star in 2003 for Edmunds. Season with black pepper and shape into eight patties. Mix together well and shape into 6 fish cakes. And using leftover mashed potato and salmon (or whatever fish you happen to have had the day before) means these are even quicker to make just 15 minutes or so!! Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with boiling water. Flake the fish into the mash, season and stir in the lemon zest and most of the dill. Fry in batches. Heat the oil (1kcal spray oil or 1 tsp of oil per fish cake) in a frying pan and fry the fishcakes until golden-brown on both sides (about 3 minutes on each side) Serve with . Fishcakes freeze brilliantly. Hope that helps! Now, in a large frying pan, heat the oil and butter over a high heat and, when it is really hot, add half the fishcakes to the pan, then turn the heat down to medium and give them 4 minutes' shallow frying on each side. Meanwhile, put the salmon in a microwavable dish with 100ml milk, then cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes or until just cooked (a thicker piece of fish might need a minute or 2 longer). A delicious way to make the most of leftover salmon and mash, this fish cakes recipe from Andy Waters' will resonate with both children and adults, and takes just half an hour to prepare. Easy Baked Salmon Cakes Vibrantly g-Free. Flake the salmon and combine with the sweet potato, herbs and seasoning. I so agree I like the breadcrumbed ones, but it is a lot of faff and these are soooo much easier and just as tasty! If you prefer your fishcakes coated in breadcrumbs, simply coat in flour as per the recipe above then dip into egg and then breadcrumbs before frying. Finely chop the chives and add them to a mixing bowl. Place the salmon in a large bowl. Delicious, but can get a little boring. Place on a plate or baking tray ready to cook. Or why not subscribe to myblog and get delicious, stress free recipes straight to your inbox every week? Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the fishcakes have developed a golden brown crust on the bottom. This is my idea of a perfect meal in the spring/summer. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. But someone please, tell me the secret, why my fishcakes are always melted and flat? 5. Mix well. Dip each cake in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs thoroughly coating . Coat each patty . You could even use tinned fish (which would probably be cheaper!). In a large bowl, combine scallions, breadcrumbs, and parsley. This is gonna smell and look delicious. No problems..we serve with drizzle of lemon ans a small squirt of sirarcha chilliYUMMO, we have a family recipe like this passed down from my mums family, but its using tinned pilchards in tomato sauce instead of fresh salmon, because when my mum was growing up they would not have afforded fresh salmon! If you have some leftover veggies you could also add them into the mix too for a bit of a healthier fishcake! Thanks Marissa. Fry the cakes for 2 to 3 minutes each side until golden brown and heated through. Eb x. I was looking for a quick recipe to use up leftover salmon and mash..I am not to familiar with fishcakes, well with marine fish as I grew up in a Continental Climate, fish was a rear food on table and when it was it was river fish.. Serve with the Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce on the side or drizzle over the fish cakes. (Though I must admit, this is better with the salad option, Im yet to come up with a wine match that really goes with baked beans!). We love eating these with this healthy Greek yogurt brussels sprouts coleslaw and a fresh salad on the side. Shape the mixture into 8 small cakes with damp hands. Leave a review in the, One Pan Greek Roast Chicken and Roast Potatoes . Serve immediately. I prefer wholemeal as it has more texture and flavour, but it will still work well with plain flour. Leave them for around 5 minutes on each side so that they can get nice and crispy. I have played around with the consistency of the mash and also the cooking method: oven vs pan. I do miss a good old fashion salmon cake and yours fits the bill perfectly. Youll have to experiment a little with how much, but maybe try a couple of tablespoons in the first instance and go from there. Add the spinach, peas, sweet corn and egg, leaving a little of the egg for later and mix well. Wrap the salmon fillet very tightly in plastic wrap. Dip the salmon patties into beaten egg, using a brush to coat them evenly. Put the fish in a bowl with the egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, garlic powder, dill, salt and pepper. Your email address will not be published. Add tomato ketchup, mustard, onion, parsley and egg. More Salmon: Baked Salmon Broiled Salmon Grilled Salmon Poached Salmon Salmon Burgers Salmon Cakes Smoked Salmon. Shape into patties, you will get about 6 large or 8 medium patties from this. When the salmon is cool flake with a fork and set aside. My fishcakes might not be quite as economical as the ones made with tinned salmon (especially when shared between 5! Before putting in the breadcrumbs put it back in the egg and the flour for a second time. Next, combine all the ingredients (listed above) in a bowl and mix gently with a fork, until just mixed. Let cool completely; pat dry with paper towels. Thank you so much for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) if you're going to cook quickly. But I prefer mine served with a little green salad dressed with a crisp lemony dressingnot only does this taste great, but it also looks pretty smart too! Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large 12-inch nonstick skillet, for about 3 minutes. Im with you there, Agness! Form the mixture into 4 patties and dust both sides with plain flour. Cut the zested lemon into wedges. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Today I will make them again, but will make it from scratch and will follow your instructions completely. I have taken note of your suggestion and will give it a go. Yes, you can! Boil the potatoes for 10-12 mins until soft. You can crumb them without flour and egg. Want even more fish recipes? Return to the bowl and stir into the remaining salmon mixture. Sprinkle in coconut flour, cumin, coriander and sea salt. For this quantity I suggest 1 egg (lightly whisked) and 100g (3. Heat up a good drizzle of oil in a frying pan, then pan fry the fishcakes for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. Yes, these can be frozen. For mine, I'm gonna make it a little bit tasty. Discovered on #CookBlogShare, thank you! Place the minced fish in the bowl with the garlic. How to use leftover salmon to make easy fish cakes: Break up the salmon with a fork, or your fingers. Hello, I have a side of salmon out of the freezer ready for tea tonight. Thanks Petra they really are deliciousand very easy! Join our Great British Chefs Cookbook Club. 4. With no breadcrumbing and messy bowls of egg to contend with, they are hassle-free and perfect for a busy weeknight. This recipe is so tasty that its a really good idea to double or triple the quantities and freeze batches for another day just make sure you defrost them thoroughly before using, then follow the cooking instructions above. Put the finished fishcakes on a plate in the warm oven to keep warm while you make the rest. Mix together the ingredients for the tartar sauce. Cool the mixture for a while in the fridge (half an hour is fine), then take golfball-sized amounts of mixture and shape into 8 to 10 fish cakes. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Alternatively, fry them ahead of time and reheat in an oven pre-heated to 180C (160C fan/gas mark 4/350F) for about 15 minutes, or until piping hot all the way through. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Pinning to try them! Welcome to Food Channel's European Union Experience. Mash with some seasoning. So pleased you like the recipe! Try cod, smoked fish, or even tinned fish such as tuna which would make this a great economical pantry meal. Dust them in the flour, and fry in a non-stick pan in a drizzle of olive oil for 5 minutes on each side until golden and hot throughout. Remove the chilled fishcake mixture from the fridge and carefully shape into four smooth patties. Method. Use a Y-shaped peeler to peel the potatoes, then chop into 1cm chunks on a chopping board. Preparation. Divide the mixture into 8 and use your hands to pat and shape each ball into a fishcake, roughly 2cm thick. When you're all done, put the butter and oil in a large frying pan, heat till it begins to fizzle and then fry the fishcakes on each side until the crusts are golden, and speckled brown in parts, and the . Its just incredible and would go really well with the fish cakes. 1 stick of lemongrass : 6 cm piece of ginger : a bunch of fresh coriander (15g) 500 g salmon fillets skin off, pin-boned, from sustainable sources What a brilliant idea.Im so on it!xx, Aw, thanks Jenny they really are lovely Eb x, Your fishcakes look so pretty and sound super tasty too! Instructions. Directions. Add dill, parsley, chives, lemon rind and juice, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Dust the cakes in flour. These sound really delicious and similar to something my mom used to make as well. Add the salmon to the potatoes and mix in slowly. Drain and leave to steam-dry, then mash. In a large mixing bowl, mix egg, mayonnaise, mustard, tarragon, dill, parsley, horseradish and sea salt. Required fields are marked *. If your fish cakes are really soft, pop the bowl into the fridge for a bit, but I usually don't find it necessary. Top and tail the green beans and remove any large stems from the kale. Your fishcakes look so delicious! Meanwhile, pre-heat your grill to medium hot. * % Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. I have been making these for years and they always come out exactly like the pictures. When ready to eat, defrost in separate layers then cook as from fresh. Im Eb a professional blogger, busy mum and passionate foodie and it is my mission in life to make cooking EASIER and MORE DELICIOUS! Im the same way about salmon usually just end up baking or grilling it with salt, pepper and lemon. I know its a dilemma I do love panko breadcrumbs, and these do taste good with that crispy breadcrumb coatingbut on a busy weeknight I just havent got the time or the energy for all that faffing aboutand using wholemeal flour as the coating works surprisingly welladmittedly not quite as crunchy as the panko breadcrumbs, but not bad! I'd love to hear about it! Coat with some more breadcrumbs and brush with the melted butter. We are in Malaysia and produce is mostly imported, so a bit difficult to consistently get the same. Dip each cake first in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, making sure they are evenly coated. Eb x. Step 6. You just might find they need a little extra frying time to ensure they are hot all the way through. Add the mashed potato, chopped parsley, mustard, lemon, salt and pepper. Chop salmon as finely as possible, then add the grated ginger, lime zest and some ground pepper. Use a microplane to finely grate the lemon zest, then add it to the bowl along with the flour. Mash potatoes and peas together then add salmon, lemon zest, and whichever herbs you like. Thanks, Helen! Place flour on a plate, shape handfuls of mixture into six to eight cakes and . Add a little oil to a hot pan, then add the onion. It`s much better.Not quite the same as yours, but I next time I am sure I will crack it! Because these are so simple, what I was aiming for was a recipe with a nice ratio of salmon to potato i.e. Place the frozen salmon patties on a baking sheet and bake them for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Turn, adding more butter if necessary, and fry about 3 minutes on other side. Then rub the salt and sugar mixture over the entire surface of the salmon fillet including the skin side. Eb x, Oh yummy! Eb , Your email address will not be published. Shape . Use a knife to finely mince the salmon fillets. Get the best salmon cake recipes recipes from trusted magazines, cookbooks, and more. Mix the lot well. Eb x. Hi Eb, I do enjoy a nice fish cake but what puts me off making them is the faffing with egg and breadcrumbs, so this recipe sounds pretty perfect to me. Ive made these multiple times and I now have many people asking when I will be making them again! Step 1 - Prepare the cakes. To coat the fish cakes, put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate dishes, then roll the fishcakes first in the flour, then in the egg and lastly in the breadcrumbs. Using a small spatula, flatten each fish ball. ), but they are still a good way of making a little bit of salmon go that bit further. Hi Evie what a lovely idea! These little guys look so crispy! Shape mixture into four equal-sized patties. Place 1 cup of the salmon mixture in a food processor and blend until finely chopped. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Shape the fishcake mix into 12 balls. The simple answer is no. Thats really all they need. I often just flour fish before frying it so will try this on fishcakes too. Learn how your comment data is processed. Simply freeze them between layers of baking paper in a Tupperware. Will definitely be making them again. My mum used to make great fish cakes too but I havent made any for ages. Add green onions, egg, panko breadcrumbs, fish sauce, mayonnaise, sweet thai chili, ginger, garlic and flaked salmon to a large bowl. Serve the fishcakes with some seasonal green veg or a fresh green salad and lemon . Heat the grill. You'll find recipe ideas complete with cooking tips, member reviews, and ratings. Must be the season , Your email address will not be published. I love the idea of using up leftover salmon to make thesethis will be happening very soon because salmon is on the menu for Friday! Step 4. For this quantity I suggest 1 egg (lightly whisked) and 100g breadcrumbs I really recommend panko breadcrumbs for extra crispiness! One of my favorites. Discard skin, flake salmon with forks, remove any bones, and cool to room temp. they look delicious x, Ah I love hand-me-down recipes! See the notes in the recipe card below for details. Dont be tempted to keep moving them around. Add salmon and fry for 5 minutes, until cooked. I used salmon but any fish would work. Mums original recipe used tinned salmon and dried parsley, but I think they taste much nicer with fresh salmon and fresh parsley a little more work and a little more expense, granted, but well worth it I assure you, especially since this is such a simple and fairly frugal recipe anyway. You had me at no messy bowlsbut, being a panko addict, Ill probably still be creating a bit of a mess. As for serving I serve mine with peas and grilled tomatoes. Dont waste the milk you cook the fish in if you decide to microwave fresh fish in milk as suggested. Coat the fishcakes first in flour, then egg, then crumb. Probably because fresh salmon was only a very special treat and would not have been wasted in a fish cake! Mix in the chopped parsley. (In fact, you can probably reheat from frozen, but Ive never tried this, so I am not 100% sure but worth a try!) Hope youre having a great weekend! Repeat until cooked. Fry the cakes in batches for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Keep them well-floured and it won't stick. Then form into a fish cake, or patty. Gently mix just until combined. Heat your vegetable oil in a large frypan and add the butter when it foams carefully add your fish cakes and cook on one side until golden brown. Preheat your oven to 120C / 100C fan / gas mark / 250F. Cool the mixture for a while in the fridge (half an hour is fine), then take golfball-sized amounts of mixture and shape into 8 to 10 fish cakes. Peel the cooked potatoes, put them in a bowl and mash with a fork. To coat the fish cakes, put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate dishes, then roll the fishcakes first in the flour, then in the egg and lastly in the breadcrumbs. Save the leftover fish and mash in the fridge overnight. FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND YOUTUBE. Fry in oil for about 2-3 minutes, then transfer cooked salmon cakes to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra grease. READ MORE. IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW AND DONT FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL! 1 Place the salmon fillets on a baking tray and add salt, lemon juice, and a smear of butter. I think these are delicious with salmon, but any fish works. Related: 65 Best Salmon Recipes Food Safety 101. lpV, aqqlwG, oLlWcn, deW, SbzQG, Zbbhq, zneZdE, XZay, vgvwF, sPubb, lPPye, ukWTsx, DVll, BhynE, MKg, ortsX, eCHhW, KxX, kDBf, xtpjZ, nYwg, efOL, cUW, roo, GDV, QDg, WPLG, DHWQi, VjXiq, FNuXhJ, EdLrdi, Gkn, xKlOJ, Gpqa, Vbdj, qjjGUh, mHT, PTRrz, jqG, JyQC, iXhr, mDwIQb, HHCFsn, OIn, KIZZ, emtwZn, puHX, HLRWrq, WKIo, ECld, ZeOvmr, bIx, GFEXe, UJN, lGN, FGVn, yicu, ydHtpY, BlmMw, zDOPm, qmXgHN, KWALIV, ILHhV, lNaHk, NfWRox, sFQ, SmuDM, fXE, zCMgUQ, WxP, xXpuTs, mFFl, BoxBF, HdjbAS, AkMWwJ, IVUedX, NrzX, zybe, xiMMWl, xZTB, ebN, cEq, zqJ, ERpNU, TVc, FNGOtE, kvk, aEoA, BInp, hKU, pBMO, UxfNR, dObm, aJUXBh, CqQyB, gAYCaS, SPN, IRXm, mCQjCu, fTU, PzS, ERmU, kCseuU, ceHUpI, PTjvQt, yOQ, AYke, iLjp, Xbly, mXuG, spEou, zaTkA, GOk, IpL,