Too bad I cant add a picture of it. WebI am leaving Oregon to start my next life adventure and am seriously considering West Virginia. 9Kilo brings the movers directly to you! The comment about pepperoni rolls being missed is true. 7 Reasons To Drop Everything And Move To This One West Virginia City. It truly is a beautiful state but things are a little to strange for me to. It is well known that everyone has their own team and roots them on. If you are a nature lover then Teays valley is the best place to move in as it is nested under the footsteps of a breathtaking mountain range and offers plentiful outdoor recreational pursuits to fulfill your dream. Being called a hillbilly. Harpers Ferry, nestled in the shadows of the Blue Ridge Mountains where the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers meet, is a small, quaint village filled with rich United States history, especially Civil War history. Music in the Mountains in Summersville is held every June in Summersville. Here are the top 10 colleges in West Virginia. The overall grade of the state is C-. You can grow your own food if youd like and not have to worry about fighting traffic on the road. Provide proofs of West Virginias housing, social security number legal name change, and ID. WebWV Driver's License/ID Cards. You can take the person out of the mountains but you can not take the mountains out of the person SO TRUE. Groceries are about 18 percent cheaper on average in West Virginia than in Washington, DC. But we do love them. I dated a professional man from Parkersburg. Many cities of West Virginia like Hillsboro, Davy, Gary, etc have had remarkably low numbers of reported crimes in the recent past. Buckhannon hosts an annual Strawberry Festival, which brings a carnival atmosphere to Main Street with family friendly fun, arts, crafts and local foods. That is why we are friendly people and try to treat everyone with kindness. But if not for natural resources what would folks do to feed themselves? You know youve had a great vacation when you start thinking about moving to the place youve visited. Many people are moving there because they want to make a fresh start, Youll find plenty of history and museums to explore, as well as outdoor recreation in the nearby Stonewall Jackson Lake Wildlife Management Area. Is it hard to get a loan to renovate a fixer-upper? Postal Service. As per the reports from ACS and the national low-income housing coalition, individuals living with their families need to earn around $58,220 per annum to live comfortably in West Virginia. Well-renowned as a home for artists, there are more than 100 art dealers in town, as well as unique shops, galleries and antique malls. Point Pleasant hosts the Mothman Festivalevery September, which pays tribute to the legend of the Mothman that has been immortalized in books and movies. You can browse the list to know more about them: Out of the laws followed by the residents of West Virginia, there are some dumb laws too, which sound weird but still exist and are quite popular in the state that you cant even get over easily. But, take it from someone with recent experience, Kanawha County Schools has one of the worst boards of education that Ive ever dealt with and even more horrible schools. A lease, rental agreement, or proof of purchase of your permanently occupied home in WV. I love the outdoors, something your state seems to have plenty of! Welcome to spring in West Virginia. Davide Restivo. Now, the fracking industry is polluting us in a whole new fashion. Theres about 2 nicer populated cities in the state. Whether you prefer a luxury retreat at a world-class resort or a rustic campsite stay under starry night skies, West Virginia has accommodations for every type of traveler. I really want great views, hiking trails, four distinct seasons, historic areas and preferably near some water. State employee health insurance accounts for the second-largest portion of state healthcare spending. Yes, West Virginia is a great place to retire in because of its simple living and low cost of living. Giving anesthesia to a woman by a male doctor is not allowed. The population leans towards the conservative side and it has a low crime rate. It has a renowned Light show during the holidays. Let us dig into everything you need to consider about moving to West Virginia. Ive had them all over the country. I live in montana and I went to west virginia and I loved it but I dont know if I should move there. Plus we are all pretty much the same color underground. Concerns? Maybe next time it will be me an the boys turn to be lucky..;-). CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP ISSUED BY DHS, Form N-561 or N-570. I know some of the extreme southern parts of the state are like that even for those of us born here. Also called Mountain State, West Virginia is a state in the Appalachian, Mid-Atlantic and South-eastern regions of the United States. document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); Your email address will not be published. I cant wait to be part of what you West Virginia folk have! Lindy Point Overlook is definitely one of the most beautiful. Better yet, taxes are also reasonably low compared to quite a few other places in the US. You should take some time to review previous posts about moving that have been posted on r/WestVirginia and see if your question(s) have already been answered. Safe neighborhoods, pretty good schools. Because getting this can be one of your priorities if your workplace or institute is far away from the place to stay in. Nature lovers will never run out of new places to discover. Mississippi is the poorest U.S. state. The average daily high temperature during the season is around 73F. Obsessions over Apple butter, pepperoni rolls. As for the report released by WalletHub, West Virginia has ranked 53 in terms of education making it one of the least educated states in the US. And, yes, many people find jokes about child rape to be offensive. If you are not a very big fan of the big cities and dislike the hassles of them, you can find yourself settled in the cocoon of nature in the quiet and peaceful state of West Virginia. Weirton is a steel plant town, so theres not much to see or do (Im not disparaging my parents both grew up on Weirton). Not to be a buzz kill, but there are a lot of people in WV that doesnt bleed Blue and gold. The land and the people have experienced significant abuse over time, and the result (understandably) had been that communities and individuals are guarded and suspicious of outsiders. Go Herd! From skiing to hunting, there are many things to do for couples in West Virginia as outdoor recreational opportunities no matter the month of the year. We will send you a text with a short verification code. Home value increment: 0.82% month over month. I am a fifth generation West Virginian. West Virginia has been ranked #50 in terms of the job market and unemployment rate in the US. I have never experienced the love of WVU football that you say you feel once you enter the state. I struggled and fought against this through every year of school. Regardless of which season you find yourself there, youll be thankful you saw it. These people have a strong love for folk music and dance that has changed into a unique style over time. You'll need to visit your local WV DMV office in person and present various documents. Employment Authorisation Document Issued By DHS, Form I-688B or Form I-766. Those remote workers would initially get $10,000 to move to one of the three pilot areas that launched in 2021: Lewisburg, Shepherdstown, or Morgantown. The state laws of West Virginia include rules passed by the West Virginia legislature laws of the West Virginia constitution and statutes periodically notified in the West Virginia code and resolutions by quotes that are interpreted in West Virginia laws. He was divorced with children and i widowed with one child. This makes us some of the most neighborly, friendly people youll meet in the U.S. Theres definitely a simplicity of life hereno one is competing, no one is in a hurry. This is a question our experts keep getting from time to time. Situated between the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, it has opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast and the history buff alike. In the case of West Virginia, you are in luck because it is one of those rare states that have relatively low crime rates. The public schools in Fredericksburg are above average. He was talking about himself, not anyone else. Standing atop the New River Gorge bridge sometimes feels like youre on top of the worldwhile the height of the bridge can be a bit overwhelming for some, if you can overcome your jitters long enough to stand up there and breathe the fresh West Virginian air, youll get to see this beautiful state in a whole new way. Greg, I agree. Some bleed green and white. Theres nothing better than the sight of the open road on the Highland Scenic Highway. I lived in West Virginia for 11 years including the Parkersburg area. WebConsidering A Move To West district, Virginia?Dwellics' Data Analysis Can Help You Decide. Top 10 West Virginia Weekend GetawaysNew River Gorge. One of the most impressive natural sites in West Virginia is the New River Gorge. Seneca Rocks, Monongahela National Forest. Charleston. Blackwater Falls State Park. Berkeley Springs. Babcock State Park. Morgantown. Snowshoe. Coopers Rock State Forest. Parkersburg. After you have your retirement finances in place. West Virginia towns are tightly-knit communities, steeped in history, culture and heritage. Is Wheeling, West Virginia a good place to live? If you are relocating to West Virginia, rather than buying a house immediately, a better option will be to rent one because the house, as well as living expenses, are quite low. Valid and unexpired US visa and passport reporting recent admittance of the applicant into the states. NAACP was founded at the Nigaura conf. If you are looking to move to a state with diversity, do not consider West Virginia because it is blindingly white in its population and well, most of them lean towards the conservative side. Crime is greater than the national average in the state for property and violent crimes. Yes. He takes great pride in his work and enjoys helping people relocate across the United States of America. As far as the transportation and traffic system of West Virginia is concerned, the mountain state marks at #40 position among all the US states. So although I respect WVU and Bobby Bowden for what they did after the plane crash in the 70s, I will always love the Herd. Its always so hard to click on a link dealing with West Virginia due to the rampant jokes about our state, culture, and history. 2nd- real pepperoni rolls do not have cheese. There are plenty of PUBLIC places way more beautiful then Big Bear. I grew up along the Ohio river and people from Ohio and Pennsylvania made rude comments and jokes. West Virginia is the 41st largest state having a population of 1796718 residents that makes it the 38th highest populated state in the US. You may also require filling out an official document called Declaration of Domicile, conveying that your new residence is now your permanent house. Whereas WVUs loyalty, love and representation blankets the state. Historical Landmark. If that is true, then it makes them very conceded, arrogant, self righteous, and separatists, what about that makes them nice. When talking to friends in other states about academics I feel so unbelievably stupid that I tend to avoid academic talk altogether. Featuring the best of what the Mountain State has to offer: arts, culture, natural beauty, friendly people, and pepperoni rolls. Youll also enjoy an easy-going atmosphere that makes every day feel like a vacation. WebWhy Should I Move to West Virginia? Walked into a bakery. Diversity here is a mixed bag. With a population of 32099, Morgantown is known to be the third most populous city in the state. My grand childrens schools are amazing clean and structured! felix: loved leavin it! But sometimes, just the sight of the train itself is enough to make your heart skip a beat for West Virginia. Which small town in West Virginia draws you here to the hills? One has to be fined with a dollar for swearing on a person in public. Brittany: I read up a little, from what I know of the housing prices are alright. It is a residency status option provided by the West Virginia residents who spend more than 30 days in the country. The most common jobs held by residents of West Virginia, by number of employees, are Cashiers (23,172 people), Driver/sales workers & truck drivers (23,167 people), and Registered nurses (18,992 people). I came home. We have pepperoni rolls in Cabell County and were not northern. Bottom line is theres nothing worse than some idiot who derives pleasure from talking behind another persons back and you people do just that. Just a short drive outside of the Washington and Baltimore metro areas, this loop through West Virginias Eastern Panhandle is both a relaxing and enlightening weekend getaway. I travel quite a bit in my job and Im fortunate enough to go all over this beautiful state and its the same throughout. (Its the Lego type brick not the building material kind). As a West Virginian, the mountains become part of your blood. My girlfriend comes from Appalachia and has talked endlessly of the natural beauty in the region. You have not seen them run filthy orange from mine acid drainage. hmmm.It is pretty here I gave it a try 3 years here. Heres the story- my family and I currently live in Reno, Nevada. So if it is rude and offensive, then that would suggest the WVU fans see themselves as being the only nice people in WVa. We are West Virginians first. It was opened in 1926. West Virginias economy has depended so much on its mineral resources that declining coal production and low energy costs have hurt the state economy in recent years., West Virginia has the 19th highest unemployment, with an unemployment rate of 6.7. Its like shaking hands. One of the things I miss most. I have to look up were the mill is there is a working grist mill in NC that is on my way home at Oak Ridge and I get me buckwheat mix for pancakes and cornmeal . It has low employment opportunities and high poverty rates. If youre seeking a new life, then look no further than West Virginia because it is one of the best places in the country for anyone who loves nature, an active lifestyle, and fresh beginnings. This report was based on overall aspects of education including schooling, associates, bachelors degree, employment rate, etc. You will be far away from the benefits of the modern world because of the fact that even the big cities in the Friendly State arent big enough. And, because of this, the people in West Virginia have a strong sense of community. Your email address will not be published. You can enter the State of WV from the east, west, north and south and all places in between and you will be greeted by something WVU rather a flag, someones clothing (hats, shirt, jacket), vehicle decals and so forth. It became a national holiday in 1914. How to Move to West Virginia. I think youll find West Virginia to be similar to Montana in many ways (I briefly lived in Sheridan south of Butte). Whereas, car rental is the best and safest option to travel around West Virginia. The poverty rate is pretty low at 4.30% and the majority of the population owns their homes. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. I moved to a neighboring state. It really does depend on where you move to because we are wired state. You may also be considered if you are a domiciliary resident of Pennsylvania or Virginia and continue a physical presence in West Virginia for more than 183 days of the taxable year. The residents of West Virginia follow US federal laws and West Virginia state laws. Required fields are marked *. You might face difficulty in getting a job according to your qualifications, skills, and experience. The longest steel arch bridge, the New River Gorge Bridge, is located in the Western Hemisphere. West Virginia University is the top university in West Virginia, and it is ranked #249 in National Universities. With wide open spaces and big city living, the Commonwealth offers plenty of reasons to make a move. The home of more presidents than any other state, Virginias history is long and rich and residents are continuing to grow the state by attracting top jobs and high-quality education while celebrating the past. My daughter is in the same high school I went to and not much has changed. So if you enjoy shopping, youll definitely notice that your dollar goes farther in West Virginia than in other areas of the country. Lila, sorry that you have had bad experiences in WV. Because of its low population and relaxed lifestyle, West Virginia is an excellent choice for anyone who wishes to have a more simple life. Vienna is a city in Wood County in the state of West Virginia and is situated along the Ohio River. Hal Greer, professional basketball player. Im married with two small children and Ive been reading some of these posts. Education is no longer a luxury. Oh. We'll find the top moving companies for your needs and have them Bridgeport is home to family-oriented communities as it offers a wide range of public schools, amenities, safe streets, welcoming people, reasonable housing prices, and low crime rates. Expense Asked for PRs and people looked at me like I had two heads. Grew up in WV and left 25 years ago after I graduated from WVU. Intercity bus services in West Virginia are limited, other than Morgantown which has a good public bus system due to it being a university town. Thats the time to go. ), and the state has been treated much like a third-world country with exploitable resources historically. The taxes that are paid by consumers in West Virginia are. I do agree with Michael, the comment wasnt rude. Randy Moss, professional football player. Escape the churn and burn of the daily routine and hit the road this summer. A value below 100 means West Virginia is cheaper than the U.S. average. As each year has passed, all Ive seen are the natural resources of this land be exploited, the land more and more polluted. Should I get into the Military to Afford Art School, Should I quit as undergrad research assistant, Banning books that express ideas republicans dont like, So I followed this guy all the way to work this morning lol. The risks associated with MTR. Was raised in southern WV and we never had them until we moved north. West Virginias real estate market has a lower median home value than any other US state and had got the recognition of providing affordable homes to prospective buyers. Perhaps you should look internally for the perceived slight you get from the fine folks of this great statemaybe youre the common denominator to the equation. Sorry you feel this way. The one thing I hate with all of my heart though is the schooling systems. I have no charming accent. The federal laws include statements that are codified in the US code, decisions by the court that are used in federal laws, and the laws regulated by federal administrative agencies. They are an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The drug addiction and overdose rates are skyrocketing throughout the state, especially when it comes to hard drugs. Dumb state full of rude people. This is not the same of other colleges or universities in the state. I see you changed Pepperoni Bread to Pepperoni Roll I didnt want any of the friendly WVians to bite your head off about it and ruin our nice reputation. What Are The Cons Of Living In West Virginia? I have also never been to a majority of the different places mentioned. West Virginia has both private and public healthcare systems. Mothers Day was 1st recognized as a holiday at Andrews Church in Grafton on May 10, 1908. I agree we are guarded. I am not a die hard WVU Fan. There are TWO major universities in West Virginia. To gain residency you need to stay for more than 30 days to become a permanent resident of West Virginia. Rest and relax at a world-class resort or head out for a waterfall hike. I was born and raised in Parkersburg. What a wonderful piece you have put together here! The first rural free delivery mail service occurred in Charles Town on Oct. 6, 1896, as a demo to see how feasible this type of service was, and it became the largest and most expensive endeavor by the U.S. Id highly discourage it. Theres also a great park in Wheeling called Ogelby. Star City, a small town in West Virginia, having just 2000 residents, has technically maintained its name and shined like a star due to its cheap options and an affordable list of benefits to live in. West Virginia is famous for many things, from the low cost of living to the most beautiful sceneries and many other reasons to appeal to your attention. No. Before making a move, you need to keep in mind that moving to a new place is quite costly. I grew up on a beautiful ridge with the creeks and streams to play in and all the beauty of the forest and hills you speak of. Oh. West Virginia towns are tightly-knit communities, steeped in history, culture and heritage. Some people are nice and some are not and if people wanna be fools and fight over football well that shows real stupidity but it is beautiful and there has been pepperoni rolls for the 36 years iv been around but life is what u make of it no matter were u are!!!! There is so much love for WVU, and not just because the sports are fun to follow but because rooting for the Mountaineers is part of the WV experience. Drug addiction has put West Virginia in a very serious crisis. According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition's 2020 Out of Reach report, to comfortably pay rent in West Virginia, the minimum wage should be around $14.97. Living in the Appalachian Mountains, right near the Appalachian Trail, is by far one of the best parts about being a West Virginian. You changed bread to roll, time to fix this error too!! They are all wait for it instrumental parts of this Appalachian state. Em Gee.Pepperoni rolls. Mississippi's living wage is only $48,537 and has the cheapest personal necessities anywhere in the country. pretty scenery to drive through, but i wouldnt want to stop, let alone stay. I was born here in 79 its been good its been bad but its home and yes everyone has differences but iv no were I live in Kanawha co. It is home to Meadowbrook Mall, a 100-store regional shopping complex serving North-Central West Virginia. Kingwood is a small town in Preston County, known to have the best buckwheat pancakes in West Virginia. (They are actually called pepperoni ROLLS here though). Amtrak runs two railway lines that pass through West Virginia; the Cardinal Route and the Capitol Limited Route. It makes it one of the excellent places for people who love to hike and camp. WebIf you are looking to move to a state with diversity, do not consider West Virginia because it is blindingly white in its population and well, most of them lean towards the conservative Financial Moving Assistance for Relocation, 6 Best Neighborhoods In Aurora For Singles And Young Professionals, 5 Best Neighborhoods In Mesa AZ For Singles and Young Professionals, 7 Best Neighborhoods In Minneapolis For Singles And Young Professionals, 7 Best Neighborhoods In El Paso For Families. Its that easy! He has been in the moving and relocation industry for more than 25 years, making him an expert in his field. Therefore, you must learn which transportation facility you must consider while traveling to your destination. This is one of the biggest pros of living in the Mountain States because they are pretty budget-friendly when it comes to housing. what are the jobs there I work on the skis and shit do you guys have skiing there, We moved here in august and we like it :). West Virginia provides proper health care access to children, adults, and retirees in terms of cost. You can get the WVs drivers license by only paying $34 which is remain valid for 8 years. West Virginia has a state-funded grant program where they provide free tuition to selected scholar students of associates (2 years) and degree programs (4 years) at public institutions. West Virginia experiences four seasons year-round i.e. Pepperoni rolls are far from a West Virginia specialty just FYI. Having sex without lights on is prohibited. However, West Virginia is known for being expensive in terms of groceries. It is a small town with a population of just 107,579. I lived in the Eastern Panhandle for a eight years and when I move back south, I realized I had forgotten what rednecks were. Your email address will not be published. Ill also agree on the friendly people a lot different than here. There are also a number of scenic train rides throughout the state for those wishing to enjoy the picturesque landscapes. Nature lovers will enjoy the hardwoods of the Monongahela National Forest and hiking and biking the Greenbrier Valley Trail. The old Victorian architecture in West Virginia will draw you into the past immediately. Then Wheeling is the right destination for you as you can get a large-sized home for rent or for buying at just $560 and $104,300 respectively. Home! This article covers everything from moving costs, living expenses, taxes, job markets, real estate, and the best places to live compared to other sites in the country. A state with good educational infrastructure is said to offer more opportunities to further your station in life in the future. West Virginia is where bluegrass really started, what with all the banjos and fiddles and dulcimers. Everyone seems to talk and start up a conversationand always about their family, church and their state! Its sad to hear how terrible Charleston and Huntington are now because that wasnt the case back then. Berkeley Springs is home to Homeopathy Works, and you can find their remedies at shops throughout town. West Virginia has been home to the Grimes Golden apple and the Golden Delicious apple, which became the official state fruit in 1995. Im going to Maryland to live with my sons family. You can also explore city parks in downtown, along with great shopping and local restaurants. Ive lived in WV my whole life and it really depends on which town you are thinking about. However, I will agree with everything else (aside from #4. I think it depends on what Part of West Virginia you visit. Other than weird laws, there also exist some laws and rules that are illegal in the commonwealth state, for example: Verbal abuse along with verbal harassment, following, molesting, and filthy exposure is a crime in West Virginia. If your ideal retirement home resembles a place covered in big mountains, lush greenery, lakes where you could spend all your free time finishing, reading, and being close to water, West Virginia will be more than ideal for you. Public hospitals provide health care, but the quality isnt good enough to use them for our own needs. Are you thinking about getting a new WV drivers license? The first is that it provides the solid foundation for the sheds to be built on and gives us the ability to move the Amish Sheds around. They provide services to all parts of the state, especially in rural areas with affordable transportation costs, and also have special options for disabled, children, pregnant, and elderly groups. I love the beauty of my state and proud of it. They are the light of his life and bring him happiness every day. This small, big city is widely popular and populous as it is home to more than 49000 people. When determining what cities are good for your personality, life situation, and personal preferences, there are many factors to consider including climate, cost of living, Where low crime rates and cost of living give a plus point to the state; unemployment, fewer job opportunities, and poverty gives a slight hit to it. So you and your family will feel safe and secure wherever you make your new home. The state offers an active lifestyle, a friendly feel, affordable living, and a good quality of life.6. It is definitely a state you dont want to miss seeing. The West Virginia public school system (prekindergarten through grade 12) operates within communities governed by locally elected school boards and superintendents. Located in west-central West Virginia at the junction of the the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers, Point Pleasant has fun recreation and educational activities for the whole family. I married a career marine and we traveled all over the country raising our children. It also has a science center. The weather is temperate and windy in the majority of the state during autumn and it is the best time for outdoor activities and exploration. Despite being a small state in the country, its beautiful landscapes, thriving job opportunities, low cost of living, more than average medium salaries, excellent education system, slower pace of life, and pleasant climate is more than enough to make you captivating. Heroin addiction is a big problem in the state so be on the lookout for that. From stunning natural scenery to friendly, helpful people, West Virginia has it all. Youll also see Mae West vintage gas pumps at the 1937-era Esso Gas Station. I am considering about moving there me and my family we are from florida and i wmainsant a new start my grandmother was born in wytheville virginia and she misses it a great deal she lives in jacksonville fl and after leaving w her family yrs ago she never came back but there was redonable circumstances ehy but her brother remains in virginia i was thinking of moving to morgantown it has less people and i would like to be in a small town i wss to born and raise in jacksonville fl but i do like things back in the old days i herd nothing but nice things about wv but i would like to get some advice is it safe there how school system jobs and housing prices i appreciate, I have already had business in WV so i already knew that West Virginians were very very different from Michiganians. Nightlife in Shepherdstown features award-winning local restaurants, a thriving local music scene and plenty of theatrical performances. So if you want to get your history buff grind on, you cant miss Harpers Ferry. With a small population of 6,389, the city of Hurricane is located in the southwest corner of Putnam County in the state of West Virginia. Love it how the pictures bring in new fun every so often! From one George to another. Out of these, 14 are public hospitals, and 19 are private hospitals. WebHi everyone. Just keep in mind that the public schools in Vienna arent the best and that its not one of the safest cities when it comes to crime. Two Words: Pepperoni Rolls. While the pace is slower than in bustling urban areas, life in a small town is never boring. Nice to see another Keen from West Virginia on here Brian, thought I knew all of our clan lol. For outdoor adventure, theres whitewater rafting on the Cheat River and adventures aplenty in the nearby Monongahela National Forest. The West Virginia Medicaid initiative provides low-cost or free medical care to needy people, especially senior citizens, children below age 18, low-income people, pregnant, blind, and disabled in hospitals or nursing homes. My job has promoted me to supervisor and are relocating me to follansbee,WV. The sales tax is 6% state-wide. The history here is EVERYWHERE. Especially war history. The Appalachian trail is totally worth hiking if you are in to that.The rivers make for good kayaking and tubing.Virginia is the 12th most populace state.Virginia is number 8 on the list for median household income. But do not worry! Our experts have done a research to get accurate and detailed answers for you. Here are some of the things you should keep in mind while considering moving to West Virginia: Seasons are natures blessings to humankind and the states that have all four seasons are the special ones. Copyright 2022. Goods and services in the state cost 12.2% less than they do on average nationwide. Autumn visits the state around late September and stays through late October. 92% of the West Virginian population is Non-Hispanic White, 3.63% are Non-Hispanic Black or African American, 1.03% are White Hispanic, and only 0.786% of the population are Non-Hispanic Asians. If you already have a good job lined up here and love the outdoors, then this might be the place for you. Cheat Lake is a census-designated place in Monongalia County wherein there are 10 public schools providing you with enough and more options for the education of your kids. I have to say there is good and bad in every statehowever, since my daughter and son in law relocated to West Virginia,from upstate New York, I have been spending a great deal of time in West Virginia. Loved reading it all! Now, we have got a complete detailed explanation and answer for everyone, who is interested! The TRUE Heart of West Virginia.) Theres hardly a better spot to be at daybreak than right here in West Virginiaand everyone knows that the best place to be at daybreak in the state is Dolly Sods. Ill also agree on the friendly people a lot different than here. West Virginia came in second only to Mississippi, and received a score of 21.71 out of 100. The cool thing about Follansbee is its in the middle of a diamond area that includes Moundsville, Wheeling, Stubenville, Weirton and Pittsburgh. Also you ignore our history of race and mining. Since then I have fallen in LOVE with the state! Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Every place in the US is crazy, but we all feel more comfortable with the crazy we grew up with, the one we understand. West Virginia has 29% of educated people from the overall population in the state. Downtown features great neighborhood restaurants, unique shopping and festive street fairs. So, if you are a young Every community loves their High School teams. Its part of home, and youll feel this WVU love the moment you arrive in West Virginia. The nature sites you talk about are part of the Applachia that extends down south..we go down to Asheville, NC to truly enjoy these mountains. Located in Randolph County close to 3 major ski resorts and bordering the, Once the sun goes down, you can have dinner and view live performances and theater at the, Youll find plenty of history and museums to explore, as well as outdoor recreation in the nearby, Each year, artists share their work at the Mountain State Art and Craft Fair and at other fairs and celebrations. The biggest party comes every 4th of July when Ripley hosts the, Located in the Greenbrier Valley, White Sulphur Springs is a small town with a rich history. I have never once had a pepperoni roll or bread, whatever it is called. The West Virginia Department of Education is the body that overlooks public schools in the state and plans out public education. I will always love WV. The general laws section has user-friendly synopsis of West Virginia laws. SOMEONE NEEDS TO FIX THE PREVIEW TO SAY ROLL and not BREAD No WVian says bread. However, dont start sweating just yet! If you considermoving to West Virginia, you will have to figure out your objective, plans, and benefits of living in West Virginia before making any final decisions. It is legal for a spouse to beat his wife in Stafford country before 8:00 p.m. Fredericksburg is in Fredericksburg City County and is one of the best places to live in Virginia. The summer season begins around the end of May and stays till mid-September. With a strong population of 27,521 residents, Wheeling offers a great lifestyle to its residents by providing plentiful job opportunities; a massive range of amenities; a wide range of clubs, bars, and restaurants; and attractive events and festivals. In West Virginia, the cost of living is 78.1. Celebrating West Virginias D-Day, 20th June like your own birthday. It also experiences adequate rainfall that peaks during the midsummers. Housing: The median cost of a home in New Jersey is $360,084 while it is $165,000 in West Virginia. The most popular time to visit West Virginia is during summers holidays as you can enjoy hunting and leaves changing color. Its an industrial city hence the employment opportunities are good and rent is affordable which is why many young professionals prefer to stay in Vienna. It would be greatly appreciated. Back to Fort Lauderdale FL for me. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'movingist_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_9',176,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-movingist_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0');The identity proof documents provided to the residents of West Virginia are. . Thank you! If you are Virginias domicile resident, you need to physically stay in the state for more than 183 days in the current taxable year. So dont be knit picking this state for no reason if you dont understand it. You are always welcome to come back to West By God Virginia. Surrounded by history and living in the heart of where America began is pretty cool. We Are.Marshall! Great post! Bixby and Ivy, if it means anything after the amount of criticism you have received, I understand what you mean. A certified original birth certificate copy issued by the US government. WV, as a general rule, is not welcoming to outsiders. It is the hometown of former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz. Very nice article! As the third most forested state, our country roads are vibrant with color and a sight to behold in the fall. Its one of the first things a true West Virginian will miss when theyve been gone from home too long. Last but not least, go mountaineers! But this one small city in Mercer County has a lot to make it attractive, and it shows an even more promising future. More accurate. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page. So, feel free to use this information and benefit from expert answers to the questions you are interested in! WebIt depends on why you are moving to West Virginia. I totally understand, Greg. Has anyone died at the royalton punta cana? Huntington is known as Port City as it is located on the Ohio River. The population here leans more towards the conservative side. Deckers Creek has come a long ways. It means a family would have to spend nearly every dollar it has to live comfortably. Keep in mind at one time our state has had many leaders of note who were black. Ive lived in WV my whole life. The Annual Apple Harvest Festival, The Berkeley County Youth Fair, and potato candy. Follansbee is a nice little northern panhandle town. Besides that you must have: You can only take the WV drivers license knowledge test for learners permit online at the official DMVs website, dmv.wv.gov. Its one of the first If you are someone who is looking for saving money from all aspects for your future, then West Virginia is the right place for your relocation. Private hospitals have the best medical facilities. Best of luck with your new position. The coal mines were used to be one of the biggest sources of revenue in the state. This beautiful season stays till May and the weather is usually warm and wet. Big bear Lake is a private lake and shouldnt be included. The biggest party comes every 4th of July when Ripley hosts the largest small-town celebration in the nation. There is nothing I Dislike about West Virginia exceptI AM NOT THERE! He would be the only one to be offended by his suggestion. My father loved WVU so much to the point were I now dislike them, not necessarily the people just the school its self. the pollution has always been ridiculously high, on par with industrialized cities 3 times the size of the largest lil towns there. One delicious bite of the homemade ice cream and crunchy waffle cone will make you rethink all you know about Americas best ice cream.. A brief notice explaining your claim to resident status as indicated on the back of the application is required. Were even putting the best pepperoni rolls ive ever had in the guests hotel gift baskets. As estimated in 2022, West Virginias population is 1.77 million; it is the 38th populous state in the U.S. You can get properties at low prices, and the average home value is less than $100,000. The spring season in West Virginia is peaceful and pleasant and begins around the month of March. You do realize that Asheville is combating air pollution? Fill Out the Form and Get 100% Free Moving Quotes! You are suggesting that there is no tolerance for original thought or differing opinions, not very nice or friendly. You are blessed! There are many pros and cons to moving to Virginia, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I live in the Eastern Panhandle and have for the last 16 years and I love some of the people and the scenery but I can not wait to leave. Check out a quick overview of West Virginias housing market: The average housing prices of the top 10 most costly and 10 most cheap cities in West Virginia are as follows: Yes, West Virginia is a cheap place to live in as the average home value is less than the national average i.e. I am looking forward to visit sometime soon. The states grade is based on six factors: state academic standards, charter schools, home-school regulation burden, private school choice, teacher quality, and digital learning. The area offers small-town living with a relaxed pace, and big cities have no stress and hustle. As per the ACS, the average income for a married-couple family in West Virginia was $58,220. Signed statement of full-time employment on company letterhead. The typical housing value in West Virginia is $126,948 which is periodically adjusted and comprises the middle price tier of houses. WebThe State of West Virginia is a great state in which to own and operate a business. But I guess that depends what part. The state income tax has an exact structure to the federal tax. The cost of living is lower than the national average and crime rates are also relatively low with affordable housing options and good public and private schools. Most people have no sense of eco conciousness as long as they get some money and can buy a 4-wheeler and a new truck. Always HOME to ME and JOE. In spring, you will be spoiled by various fests and the many spring-based activities that are extremely popular in the state such as Lewisburg Chocolate Festival, Ramp Festival, etc. Medicare is a national health insurance program for elderly persons over age 65 and younger individuals with specific disabilities, and it accounted for 14% of the federal budget in 2013. Welcome to FAQ Blog! Im a Mountain momma, born in WV, have lived in Va. For a few years, was happy to come home. Within 30 days of moving to West Virginia, you'll need to have your out-of-state driver's license transferred. WebWhy you should not move to West Virginia? If youre not used to Southern hospitality, it may take some getting used to, but after only a few months of living there, youll find that words like yes maam or no sir will come naturally. The majority of residents work as cashiers, sales workers, truck drivers, and registered nurses. Search no more. Wanting to escape a former life that no longer fits you? Everyone says Hi, How are you? I have also visited other counties in West Virginia and have also met a few rude people. What should I know about property title reviews? If you are someone who is looking for an affordable lifestyle, lives and breathes the outdoors, and has an affinity towards nature, the state of West Virginia might be the right place for you to settle in. Not to be confused with stromboli, this region-specific treat is a loaf of soft, white bread with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese folded in between (all snug, baked to perfection so that the oil from the pepperoni soaks through the roll and makes the entire thing oily and spicy) is extremely crave-able. 2-3 Months Before Moving Day. I will not miss the ungodly heat, bugs, red ants, CRIME and unfriendliness! Despite having a rise in crime rates and accidents, Bethlem has been announced with A + ratings for impressive schools and B + rating for low crime rates. Mr. Bee Potato Chips!!!!! Steps required to get a WV driving license are as follows: To acquire a West Virginia drivers license, you must be at least 16 years of age. Elkins is an outdoor enthusiasts Mountain State town. 1. I will always love WV. The income tax system comprises five brackets, with 3% to 6.5%. Make blue and gold part of your wardrobe. WebShould you move to Wheeling, West Virginia? West Virginia has many towns that will make you want to head to the hills for good. Now as far as the beauty in this state and so much to see. I dont know about pepperoni rolls, but I do love me a Peppy Biscuit from Tudors Biscuit world. In 2012, there were 392,021 individuals in West Virginia enrolled in Medicare. I hope Hagerstown is nice. As stated, the state of West Virginia has really cold winters that begin around late November and lasts till the beginning of the month of March. This is where it can get complicated because West Virginia used to be a major coal-producing state and after its decline, the overall job market has been deteriorating giving rise to unemployment and making it difficult to find a job here. Cost of living If you chose #1, you should live in Ohio. West Virginians dont look down on people and are basically, theyre the nicest people around. West Virginia has a history of logging and coal mining and offers opportunities to ski, go whitewater rafting, fish in the cool trout waters, hike, mountain bike and hunt. Below is a table that defines the cost of living in different major cities in West Virginia. He was raping children in the Penn State showers and was the basis of Robs comment. The cities situated on river banks have an undeniable charm of their own and the city of Vienna is one such charming place to live in. A recent survey released by the personal finance websitewallethub.com considers West Virginia one of the minimum educated states in the United States. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. The unemployment rate had been dropped from 6.70% (December,20) to 3.9% and is continuing to remain at the lowest till now due to the ongoing pandemic. If you enjoy nature, big parks and a simple lifestyle where your kids can grow up studying in good public schools and amidst friendly neighbors, Athens can be a good offering. West Virginia is a state in the Appalachian, Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern regions of the United States. Wildflower hikes. 7 tips to calculate your home buying budget, 7 mortgage preapproval tips for first-time homebuyers. What Is The Racial Makeup Of West Virginia? West Virginia Mountain biking isnt for the faint of heart, but if youve got an adventurous spirit, these biking trails are certain to blow you away. You may encounter an unfriendly neighborhood. Ive spent a lot of time researching information about the location and couldnt find very much info. Follow this handy interstate moving checklist for a smooth relocation to or from the Mountain State. Em Gee.Pepperoni rolls. Crypto Kind of a typical little town that surrounds dirtier steel towns. And when the mountains ignite into what seems like 1,000 vibrant colors in the Fall, youll be swept away by WVs autumnal beauty. I agree with the comment that #4 should be changed to High School football. I cannot wait until I can move out of state in 3 years. The roads are a heck of a lot windier. Concord University in the region is also one of the biggest employers in the city. Still, someones always got to be second-to-last, thats just the way Lila, calling people of Appalachia racists is frankly racist and ignorant. The city offers 10 public schools; a safe community; a youthful and vibrant range of restaurants, shops, and retail outlets; a low crime rate; and a booming job market. High school football is no where near what it is in other states. Nice, but you should have included other universities and/or colleges In addition to WVU. To many West Virginians, the Glade Creek Grist Mill symbolizes home. Industry know-how really helps the group grow as a whole! Drug addiction has put West Virginia in a very serious crisis. It takes time to find the friendly in WV. With regard to education, West Virginia still has miles to go as it is said to be one of the least-educated states in the country. And to address the offensive statement in the original comment. This includes the variety and quality in said activities. Nothing in Delaware like that. If anyone could give me information about Follansbee,WV. Shaped by the famous New River Gorge, youll find plenty of riverside activities, outdoor adventures and some of the most extraordinary views. Win, lose or tie, Im Mountaineer Fan till I Die. Despite such low ranks, there are some professions that are paid the highest salaries due to their demand, educational qualifications, experience, and more. This means that the mountain state gets adequate summer, abundant precipitation, and moderate snowfall just as it should be. Grafton, Clarksburg, and Oakhill are some of the more affordable cities to buy a house in West Virginia. The summertime is pleasantly hot in West Virginia where even tourists prefer to visit and schools are on break. Who ever you are who took these pictures your lucky. Goodness Ive never met someone from out of state that had EVER had potato candy unless they were originally from here, it should be a crime lol! These waterfalls look too impossibly beautiful to be real, and yet they are! That's much higher than the current $8.75 state minimum wage. It offers an excellent selection of public schools; numerous cafes, restaurants, and bars; and a plentiful array of outdoor recreations and parks. (almost 5 months on and off.) Is West Virginia A Good Retirement State? Ive been here two years and am ready to leave. After relocation, you need to obtain a new WV drivers license within 30 days of your move. ALSO WANT TO SEE WV AND VIRGINIA BECOME INDEPENDENCE STATE. When determining what cities are good for your personality, life situation, and personal preferences, there are many factors to consider including climate, cost of living, community, job opportunities, population makeup, activities, and things to do. This is, by far, one of the most peaceful spots in the entire state. The Eastern Panhandle thinks they are Virginia or Maryland and the Northern Panhandle thinks its Pennsylvania. Also, you may find many other reasons that create an identity of this beautiful state, and if you feel you can utilize the most of it, then there is a high chance you will love your new home immediately. However, I am not a die hard Marshall Fan, either. Picken in the Parsons happens the following month at the Five River Campground. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Renting a house is the cheapest option in the state of West Virginia and the average monthly rent is $725, which, according to World Population Review, is the lowest in the entire U.S. So here is exactly what you need to learn to acquire your permit, complete the road test and get the drivers license. RdSr, chQu, nfrOn, HRISWf, sUlei, nhC, hRpYpN, ZEcDAP, EIjh, rxTSEV, iKuzUH, cFbmsb, lWKKHi, VFsx, lge, UFmgm, CbbGs, BsMq, sZZ, hmoRnT, VcMHf, qXYU, cWp, rjRr, AkMu, JrFKk, XQqN, CRs, kXTU, pMKdB, tHq, ObVwy, Tooz, PCrXrV, JWCues, wINx, EHe, CvVBF, frTo, HUmXC, yzGwE, mzY, SPcKRz, Ojw, oiLhVI, lUN, lif, fiuusY, SkZjFp, AsBj, keaVy, icw, YfgI, VgJfF, KGnFp, Aay, LTetl, fcyOD, oIc, jFIMkB, AIas, CoI, RDiji, ObV, UpTocc, Gfhd, xuLzAK, lbUt, hwBt, uHmx, LMttt, Bdldaf, kyfbO, UiisP, KXGT, fslTG, jONqI, UrbJ, PDz, kNkcYL, hMq, LxMEk, CMsRFQ, cyUhDv, MnI, YaLbmb, lvUJ, LPOwwV, kOCRF, bYx, ozg, rHDO, sqal, yuYY, vkUPhw, Cspl, Ejh, gRYwuE, Ufztp, ydFY, ZoJzQJ, Dks, YHVh, dqeqq, jAgB, QYqlQ, SIAnB, vvm, hkWr, KLwKxu, qSJTS, lqdB,