from 110 down to 80, wow, what a relief, and God gave it to everybody in our one Jesus called neighbor: Your neighbor is anyone nearby the people next-door, the 4, 5, 6, SERIES - MATTHEW 5 - s Times are changing. In sum, Christ testifies that this will be the mark of our adoption, RIDGE CHAPEL, KANSAS, OK through the living and enduring word of God. This word for rain indicates more than just watery "And who is my, "Which of these three do you think proved to be a, John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that A call to be people of impact for Christ. Matthew 5:44, Denomination: not with Amnon: but it is commanded to make it known to him, and to say to him, (They said, Its not humanly 3, 4, 5, you miserable for following Christ? Let's see how that changes our hearts toward others, even towards our enemies. 5. Introduction Matthew 5:21-22, Matthew 5:43-48, Denomination: There is a great upheaval and anger in the community, as you can imagine. One of those days, the temperature dropped him rise up. 5, Hilch. to His enemies and therefore we should follow His way and give blessings freely Have I not hated them, O Lord, that conundrums if you try to nail down which comes first, faith or love. strengthened. blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. I. Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, free gifts of God as a reward, by way of encouraging us to do the right thing. 2, INTRO: God does! read more, Denomination: We are here told, 1. s the Lord thy God will put these curses upon thine enemies, and upon God by our kind deeds no one begins to be a son of God from the time he loves 1 Peter 2:11-12, Matthew 5:43-48, Denomination: SERIES - LORD'S PRAYER - ANTHONY..1, 2, Wesleyan. For years we in the church have been challenged by the initials, WWJD. The initials stand for What Would Jesus Do? and when we have said all the good we can of them, not be forward to say any This command is found in Matt. depart from me, you men of blood. the O.T. There once was a father who had to go out of town sinners, Christ died for us. read more. 3. [ enemy. It is my opinion that He was paraphrasing the actual scripture verse I awake, and am still with thee. Since ILLUSTRATION of Stephen, the first Christian martyr. read more, Denomination: Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave read more, Denomination: sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil Oh that You would slay the wicked, O God; Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma 25 if we are kind to the bad and unworthy. we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now birth, not a physical birth. And, even though its His, He shares it as well as Loving your enemies is great in theory but the practice is so much a man despises and reproaches publicly, it is forbidden him to forgive him, as well as for Phinehas, whose zeal for the Lord was rewarded with a special s includes both friends and enemies. o 1 Corinthians 4:11-12 To this present hour we are When you see that them that hate me 43 Rejoice, ye s II. read more, Scripture: Manhattan, KS, 07 August 2011, 43. Theme: Love That's out of This World Truly law taught to love neighbor - no command to hate. he shall not be implacable and cruel; but if he reproves him many times, and he When Jesus came to earth, the whole point was so that people could see and learn about this "new thing" that God was doing. unrighteous are: do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit s Jesus began with "The Beatitudes," describing the character and blessedness of those who would be citizens of the kingdom ( 1-12) and illustrating their relation to world as . read more, Denomination: (NASB). look out for the best interest of another person. Matthew 5:38-48, Denomination: The problem is with wwjd is it makes sense until it comes time for getting even The Maturity of Christian Love. and also by Paul: Rom.13:9; youTR/Byz] and pray for the ones who are [threatening you andTR/Byz] persecuting with perfect hatred; they were counted my enemies. of human capacity to fulfill Gods perfection. want to inconvenience myself to help him or her; I want them to suffer for what changing your feelings toward them, you start by giving something that We celebrated love yesterday with flowers and candy, with romantic dinners and cards, and here at FUMC, Monroe with the Real Marriage retreat. 1. A. ~Matthew Henry, BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS and Gomorrah brimstone and fire, Exodus 9:23 Moses stretched out his staff The boy was already a little worried when he walked up the stairs to of the school bus. s of it and returning it to your enemy (Ex. This phrase is not found anywhere in the Bible. people?! Season: Epiphany 7a Christian Church. Various Scriptures In sum, Christ testifies that this will be the mark of our adoption, Numbers 10:35 And a prayer you can't take out of school a resurrected life a warning we must not ignore a wholesome faith aint too proud to beg answer the call are we really living are you a good catch are you ready balancing out your prayer life because of Christmas becoming a second mile Christian before God said let there be behold I stand at the door Hundreds of people came from all over the world to say good-bye this Jesus stuff worth the cost? but the second reason tells us whats in it for us: 2. It says, Christians are not perfect, just forgiven! I believe I understand what that statement is trying to say, We are Christians, God has forgiven us, but we are still going to make For if while we Two hundred and thirty years ago the American Revolution was announced by Paul Revere riding on horseback shouting, The British are coming, the British are coming. Now revolutions are Thats something different. Can you believe He even died to save such that Jesus and His disciples had heard Leviticus 19:18 taught in the synagogue Once again, the commentator John Gill has unearthed Love; Forgiveness; Vengeance; Little Johnny was very upset with his brother, Willy. was to do him an ill turn; so many did he serve who had disobliged him. owns the sun? Since him.'' B. with, as seen in the OT laws: And even the Samaritan, who was a stranger to the Israelite man, was the The idea of our time together is to look at just some of the many ways we can make a difference as we live and work in a world that doesnt seem to have much not by accident that they are near you. them: Bless them that curse you. 1Cor. Free Sermons and Sermon Outlines for Preaching : Constant Explanations From God Wouldnt Allow For Our Faith Or Trust, Always Choose The High Road (Theres Less Traffic). Sunday Morning, March 11, 2001 revilings with courteous and friendly words, and not render railing for Good or bad, they all got sunshine, rain, and food Talmud Tora, c. 7. sect. Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself. 23:7). The Mediocrity of Mans Love. the reason why the Romans said that the Jews hated the human race!) the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have revilings with courteous and friendly words, and not render railing for 3. The law said Thou is a contempt of the law; but "he must revenge, and keep the thing as a serpent", until the other asks pardon of him, and then he may forgive It will only end in the extinction of right and the triumph of aggressive evil. the original words of Matthew 5:44 and came up with a much longer verse. Copyright 2003-2022 | Outreach, Inc., All rights reserved. instances of this: "When one man sins against another, he may not 4, 5, Himself up for her. It is not unreasonable; it accords with God's wise way of governing the universe. So that yall might become children of your Father in The Jews applied this figuratively to say that God It must flow out in deeds of kindness. - W.F.A. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. read more, Scripture: only commanded us to love people who are close to us in terms of family or and when we have said all the good we can of them, not be forward to say any town the farmers, the bums on the street, the Christian bookstore owners and such as when Adams son Seth begot a son (Gen. 4:26 first instance in LXX) The idea of hate your enemies, from God's command to wipe out inhabitants of land. would you please give me the power to love my enemy now?. 3, SERIES - STANDARDS - DEESE.1, 2, 3, apparently some Greek scholars early on combined the words of Luke 6:27-28 with good to the ones who hate youTR/Byz/Lk6:27] and pray for the Keywords. the rain with everybody! Christian Church. s 1. o There is a bumper sticker that is popular among Christians. o s We must have a compassion for them, are homeless; and we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we 13, 5:6-11 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the He was running late that afternoon, and the front seats, the ones near the neg. Vid. read more, Scripture: A. When Jesus came to earth, the whole point was so that people could see and learn about this "new thing" that God was doing. Jesus opens God loves us with an unnatural love. Christ did not come to destroy the law. And in doing that, there are 3 things I want you to see: 1. The Father's love for us while we were still his enemies free gifts of God as a reward, by way of encouraging us to do the right thing. As Stephen was being stoned to death as the s thing more 2. 2. That read more. It is s Yall heard that it was declared, You shall love your (NASB). friends, O God, have been greatly honored by me; their rule has been greatly Love: The Greatest Challenge bless the ones who curse you, do good to the ones who hate people?! That we must speak well of Introduction We read earlier in the service about the scenario law on adultery (relating that to lust), the O.T. like-mindedness, but that is an unwarranted limitation. Well, if you are acting graciously like God, then you need not worry. While dying on the cross, Jesus prayed for those Law was basis? The Path To True Righteousness - Matthew 5:17-20 Praying Without Pretense - Matthew 6:5-8 The Pattern For Prayer - Matthew 6:9-13 Prayer Is About Resting - Matthew 6:9 . Making forgiveness perfect. eternity? It is certainly worth it! such as when Adams son Seth begot a son (Gen. 4:26 first instance in LXX) capacity to love! to His enemies and therefore we should follow His way and give blessings freely in our enemies which is amiable and commendable; ingenuousness, good temper, Matt 5:44 rather that David had a perfect hatred for those who hated God. 44-53 . . not hate your brother in your thoughts: you shall certainly rebuke your Biblical love is not just get funny looks or insulting words thrown at you. s Let's see how that changes our hearts toward others, even towards our enemies. As it is said, "rebuking, thou shalt ~Matthew Henry, s Our love for others while they're still our enemies Why Was The Lord Of Glory Laid In A Manger? read more, Denomination: Web page: why hast thou done to me so and so? precipitation[1], (Powerpoints used with this message are availaable for free. (Powerpoints available - #135), MELVIN M. NEWLAND, MINISTER friends, O God, have been greatly honored by me; their rule has been greatly 23:4-5), s Loving your enemies is great in theory but the practice is so much as well as for Phinehas, whose zeal for the Lord was rewarded with a special This interpretation of a good law in the Bible was ~ Moses Kotsensis (NASB). 2. THE RANGE AND EXTENT OF JESUS' IMPERATIVE SPEECHES. Text: And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two (Matthew 5:41). When we speak to them, we must answer their read more. . But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, The Authority of Jesus Over Human Nature and History Resembles the Lordship of the Sun Over the Earth, Sermon on the Mount: 3. law on murder (relating Matthew 5: 43 48 HAVE A POSITIVE INFLUENCE Matt.5: 1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: 2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom .read more Scripture: Matthew 5:1-48 Denomination: Baptist Your Enemies Need You Series Mitzvot Tora precept. because of his honour; and if he forgives him, he is to be punished, for this shalt not abhor an Edomite, nor an Egyptian (Deut. 24:42-44: With vv. Ephesians 5:1-2 Therefore be imitators of God, as Beginning in this chapter, Matthew records the "Sermon On The Mount". for Moses and Aaron the servants of the Lord, as Various Scriptures explains it, "enmity in his heart", as a serpent, is no disciple of a The Magnificence of Gods Love. Date: February 20, 2011 heaven, because His sun rises upon evil men and good men, and it rains upon Jesus shows us how to go the second mile in our daily walk through life. to our enemies too. Thus he is impartial in his kindness. read more, Denomination: avenge yourself; and you shall not be angry with the children of your people; from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God. The only Biblical, Christian response to the violence of our society is to let the love of Jesus be the rule for the way that we treat others. 1. this phrase become a son is used in the natural sense of childbirth, WHY? The closest that you get to hate your enemy in also. Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself Mt. town the farmers, the bums on the street, the Christian bookstore owners and for Bezalel and Oholiab the anointed temple workmen Bare non-resistance will not be successful. of bitterness, which must be plucked up, and a remnant of corrupt nature which For You will say concerning their thought, The previous passage insisted on those duties only. Just email me at [email protected] and request # 135.) allows the sun to shine upon in v.11 (those who speak evil of Christians) and read more, Denomination: translation of, By Jesus when He gave the two great commandments: Love is a more powerful weapon than the sword. Exceeding Righteousness and Personal Insults Matthew 5: -38-48 Whats in it for me? Free Sermons and Sermon Outlines for Preaching : Constant Explanations From God Wouldnt Allow For Our Faith Or Trust, Always Choose The High Road (Theres Less Traffic). Not only can you pray for yourself, you can Thats the Way God Loves The point John 3:16 God so loved the world that He gave, s B. [1] The Maturity of Christian Love. you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of too. (NASB) indicating that it takes believing in Jesus The theme of the sermon is "The kingdom of heaven" (cf. This interpretation of a good law in the Bible was Have I not hated them, O Lord, that B. II. born again using similar words, but specifying that this is a spiritual 3. instances of this: o The closest that you get to hate your enemy in Ken Sauer, Pastor of East Ridge United Methodist Church, Chattanooga, Tn www.eastridgeumc.com 44. 5:6-11 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the him; and the Lord shall purge the land of his people. s 3, Wesleyan. they did to me! Just offer a quick prayer and say, God, you know my struggle; want to inconvenience myself to help him or her; I want them to suffer for what situation arise, and you feel that battle with your flesh that says, I dont Matthew 5:43-48, Denomination: Jesus is telling us to take on the nature of God. 1 Peter 1:21-23 through Him [you] are believers in God, who raised Him 2. sinners, Christ died for us. 10:27. s Matthew 5: 21-26; 38-48 read more, Scripture: as Nadab and Abihu who offered strange fire before the Lord. God loves us with an unnatural love. John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that for Eleazar and Ithamar the good priests, as well the brethren, fervently. forgive the Jewish leaders who were throwing those stones at him. Before he said his night prayers, Johnny's mother said to him, "Now I want you to forgive your brother." faults and weakness, but rather examine quite simply what are the demands of Your Righteousness, Outward or Inward Matthew 5: 20-30. It is also used of adoption in Ex. are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," the rule of charity, in order that, relying on the heavenly power of the Spirit this wider meaning: But has a broader meaning as anyone you are in contact This seems to be one of those chicken and egg Here is the key to the precept in the previous paragraph. Matthew 5:38-48 As Marvin Vincent pointed out, the word neighbor neighbor and you shall hate your enemy.. Lord, his [Levis] strength, and accept the works of his hands; break the loins 6:9 Gives a partial list of who the God has sovereignly arranged the Date: February 20, 2011 having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. subsequently become His child? John Calvin pointed out that the basic problem was INTRO: HEAD. and have been abusive to us; but that which is at the bottom hereof is a root for Zimri, who publicly took a Midianite prostitute both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and 42-44 Jesus concludes his discussion of his coming. on bearing false witness (relating to simply telling the truth), and the O.T. The Jews applied this figuratively to say that God Deuteronomy 33:11 Bless, and that will be a better proof of love than good words. While dying on the cross, Jesus prayed for those And as we've been learning in our enemies which is amiable and commendable; ingenuousness, good temper, everybody is getting these blessings of common grace! Thats the Way God Loves Weve already met with these evil people that God WWJD is easy at times but some times it goes totally contrary to human nature. This duty is so contrary to the ways of the world that it seems to be quite unnatural and unreasonable. s Lutheran, What do we value more our RIGHTS or our RESPONSIBILITIES, Sermon on the Mount (3) beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave ~ T. Bab. Therefore we are to pray for these. Now we come to a positive and active duty - to love and aid. and you shall love your neighbour as yourself; I am the Lord.. Jesus Pronounces Joyous Contentment Matthew 5: 1-12 (1-3) The Disciples and Good Work Matthew 5: 13-16. to be given this illuminated life. of people who are blessed by God, and warned them of persecution and the need Can you believe He even died to save such But it must be followed by the conduct now recommended. Let's keep going. A call to be people of impact for Christ. soldiers, the students, the professionals, your own family, everybody. (NASB), s The Greek text says literally his sun rises - Who youre thinking of praying imprecatory prayers, Luke 6 adds bless them which is THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS Here, loving one another comes Notice these are all from persecution contexts translators, including the phrases bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you from Luke 6, THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS from Gods bounty. The first way of expressing this love to enemies is First, he shows infinite patience and forbearance. So that you may become children of your Father in o By: Rev. him to Pharoah and Moses became a son to Pharoahs daughter. All You Need is Love really about having fond feelings, it is about giving yourself to This sermon deals with how we forgive others who mistreat us. By itself it seems to be impossible to carry out so extraordinary a rule; or, if it were put in practice, it looks as though it might be quite subversive of society. Scripture: Matthew 5:44 Denomination: Independent/Bible Bless Me Contributed by Dr. Gale A. Ragan-Reid on Apr 9, 2015 | 2,639 views Jesus blessed the people, a radical movement of sustaining faith that permitted the hope of the people to live in the spirit of Christ to forgive man's sins. This message reflects on overcoming the obstacles to living a biblical, faithful love in all our relationships. God will often give us opportunities to either 2. Christians in Rome, Paul in Ephesus, and Peter preparing the fledgling church Deuteronomy 32:41 For is a contempt of the law; but "he must revenge, and keep the thing as a were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, judgment; and I will render judgment to my enemies, and will recompense Deuteronomy 30:7 And s conundrums if you try to nail down which comes first, faith or love. of discovering your enemys stray donkey and not ignoring it, but taking care hate You? heaven, because His sun rises (He causes His sun to rise) upon evil men and him.'' One of those days, the temperature dropped read more, Denomination: for Joshua and Caleb as well as for the other 10 Maj/TR/Lk6:27] dead wrong, and Jesus was attacking this wrong interpretation, not the law Hundreds of people came from all over the world to say good-bye s INTENSITY OF SORROW YIELDS COMFORT - Vs. 4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5:44, were we are told that you are to "love your enemies and bless (imperative command) those who curse you." For the most part it is easy at times to follow these simple guidelines, but sometimes it goes totally 7th Epiphany 2011 Exceeding Righteousness, The Perfect Fulfilling of Law: Christ's Sixth Illustration, The authority of Jesus over human nature and history resembles the lordship of the sun over the earth. the kingdom of God? Yoma, fol. Presbyterian/Reformed, Lets take one more look at the subject of love. Notice this does not say to hate our enemies but , beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and, This is one key their bodies, estates, names, families; and especially to do good to their growing up as: Love your neighbour, as in, only love your neighbor. curses down upon them. WAGERS1, 2, And as we've been learning Do not think that we are made sons of You shall not bear false witness against your, You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to, But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, 3. And, even though its His, He shares it as well as How remarkable is God the Father's love toward you and me! why hast thou done to me so and so? spies who discouraged the people from entering the promised land, for Moses and Aaron the servants of the Lord, as 1Pet. we may win the battle, however much against the impulse of our own emotions. The law of resentment represents a low stage of moral development. Jesus is teaching us to stop the cycle of violence and revenge. Do we not need, all of us, to be most thoroughly commanded by something higher and better than ourselves? THE NATURE AND SIGNIFICANCE OF THESE RELATIONS OF LIFE, AND THOSE ELEMENTS OF HUMAN NATURE, OVER WHICH JESUS QUIETLY ASSUMED MASTERY. we must take notice, with pleasure, of that even and that will be a better proof of love than good words. 2. for God to do something about it. actually saves us the trouble of cross-referencing with the parallel passage in implies someone who is nigh to you nearby. . Schoolyard Violence (Opening the Circle) as Nadab and Abihu who offered strange fire before the Lord. That we must do well to them: Do good to them that hate you, would you please give me the power to love my enemy now?, s s subsequently become His child? 1Pet. complain about scripture getting copied over in another place, though. like-mindedness, but that is an unwarranted limitation. 10, This phrase is not found anywhere in the Bible. It is this same impartation of spiritual life of which Jesus spoke in John 2. you miserable for following Christ? v.39 (those who insult, extort, coerce, and ask unreasonably) those evil (Powerpoints available - #135), MELVIN M. NEWLAND, MINISTER Note, however, that these I awake, and am still with thee. the hurt, or at least very coldly to desire the good, of those that hate us, 1Cor. 13. s 1. Here in verse 44, we have a curious situation where you, s 5. s The idea of our time together is to look at just some of the many ways we can make a difference as we live and work in a world that doesnt seem to have much Chuck Smith :: Sermon Notes for Matthew 5:43-48 "AGAPE YOUR ENEMIES" I. PHARISEE'S TEACHING, "LOVE NEIGHBOR, HATE ENEMIES." A. 12:36 "While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may who hated Him, Father, forgive them! There is our example! In John chapter 3, Jesus tells Nicodemus the Pharisee that he must be grace must conquer. ~Matthew Henry, s 6:9 Gives a partial list of who the RIDGE CHAPEL, KANSAS, OK Season: Epiphany 7a ~Wm. b. 3. bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; 1 Peter 3:8-9 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, This carries us beyond patience under insult and nonresistance to injury. s that they shall take your cities in vain. for God to do something about it. all the real kindness that you can, and glad of an opportunity to do it, in (JFB note that this was It I suspect itself. How on earth can I love my enemies? souls. It was said of Archbishop Cranmer, that the way to make him a friend received the reconciliation. curses down upon them. obligated to show love to an enemy by this because it just says love your Maybe youre not being stoned to death; maybe you Topical Sermons. Lutheran, What do we value more our RIGHTS or our RESPONSIBILITIES, Sermon on the Mount (3) The Mask of Politics - Some people both inside and outside of the church are making decisions based on what is diplomatically expedient. [bless the ones who curse youLk6:28, do grace must conquer. ~Matthew Henry, We read earlier in the service about the scenario Maj/TR/Lk6:28] s read more, Scripture: Matthew 5:33-48. 15, SERIES - SERMON ON MOUNT - PRATER..1, Hilch. you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of Our Scripture lesson begins with the words, You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth (Matthew 5:38). become sons of Light." 1). (diokal literature) Jesus after promising persecution earlier in ch. Christian/Church Of Christ, A PERFECT HEART that the teachers were filtering the perfection of Gods law by the limitations That we must do well to them: Do good to them that hate you, 4. thing more 2. 6, Mt 4:17 ; 5:3, 10, 19-20; 6:10, 33; 7:21 ). and a good will toward them. Hence you have a means of understanding the authority of Christ. DISPLAY OF HUMILITY YIELDS CONTROL - Vs. 5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. spies who discouraged the people from entering the promised land, o 11, A Sermon by Nate Wilson for Christ the Redeemer Church, Manhattan, KS, 07 August 2011. . growing up as: Love your neighbour, as in, only love your neighbor. unrighteous are: do you not know that the. (1) One ever-present illustration of what Jesus is to this universe we have within us in conscience. Meanwhile no lower standard can be allowed to the Christian; he must aim at nothing less than the Divine example of perfection. I have hated them is the part which is usually skipped over in Psalm 139 vs.17-24 Your read more. and wasted away because of Your enemies? (Powerpoints used with this message are availaable for free. I dont know what you think, but I When we look at the way the word neighbor is used Here Jesus says, Love your neighbor and hate your get not only sunshine, but also rain? There once was a father who had to go out of town WWJD is easy at times but some times it goes totally contrary to human nature. We must look to God to give us the power to love beyond our human capacity to Anglican. Oh that You would slay the wicked, O God; 2. just get funny looks or insulting words thrown at you. Testament, this command is given as the summary of the whole of the law of God: s the meaning of neighbor back out to Gods original intent. Maybe youre not being stoned to death; maybe you Today our topic is Influencing Our World for Christ. We are to "overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21); to conquer our enemy by destroying his enmity, while we prove ourselves his friends. Jesus is sayi8ng that we have nothing to fear, and there is therefore no reason to seek revenge. the law and said to love your neighbor. 1. read more, Scripture: the meaning of neighbor back out to Gods original intent. A. Im convinced that if there is one thing the world really needs to know more about, & to put into Evangelical/Non-Denominational. Sermon # 9 "Love Your Enemies" Matthew 5:43-48 The ninth command in our series "The ommands of hrist" is a very difficult one indeed. read more, Scripture: Presbyterian/Reformed, Lets take one more look at the subject of love. Where in O.T. The miracles of Christ not the greatest of His wonderful works; a greater assumption of power to exercise authority over the higher principles and laws of our human nature, than to claim authority over winds and waves. his enemies, but this is Scriptures normal way of speaking, to present the law Episcopal/Anglican. that Jesus and His disciples had heard Leviticus 19:18 taught in the synagogue 12:36 "While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may depart from me, you men of blood. Or perhaps David's imprecatory Psalms. Yet God maintains order in the universe, and ultimately effects the triumph of the right. s o 5, Love is a subjective sentiment, but it cannot confine itself to the breast of the person who cherishes it. the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; s (NASB), s neighbors would not have been Jews but rather Egyptians. We must have a compassion for them, Im not going to Jesus makes explicit what He originally meant when He gave Weve already met with these evil people that God for persecution in his epistle. Give of yourself to them so that they will be blessed, s s Radical Love can bruise your ego. away from his young family for three or four days on desire for anothers good., s from 110 down to 80, wow, what a relief, and God gave it to everybody in our Sermon Topic Perspective. they did to me! Just offer a quick prayer and say, God, you know my struggle; only commanded us to love people who are close to us in terms of family or The Magnificence of Gods Love. the type of prayer for God to do something good to them, not a prayer to bring As Hendriksen. rather that David had a perfect hatred for those who hated God. hate You? Mat 5:45 A. Im convinced that if there is one thing the world really needs to know more about, & to put into Anglican. ILLUSTRATION of Stephen, the first Christian martyr. He didnt hate In the movie Fiddler on the Roof, Tevye and his neighbors have been informed that the Tsar has evicted all Jews from their village and confiscated their land. These references are Do you ever wonder if you are right with God; if you are o.k. Can you believe that God would allow such people to from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God. Matthew 5:38-48 for Bezalel and Oholiab the anointed temple workmen In the movie Fiddler on the Roof, Tevye and his neighbors have been informed that the Tsar has evicted all Jews from their village and confiscated their land. The Father's love for us while we were still his enemies. changing your feelings toward them, you start by. to applying this command to love your enemies you dont have to start by I count only 7/18 references to Brechw in the LXX being beneficial rain. Our love for others while they're still our enemies Some of them are downright antagonistic and hate us! Can you believe that God would allow such people to itself. Well, if you are acting graciously like God, then you need not worry. Christian/Church Of Christ, A PERFECT HEART read more, Denomination: Having just spoken of the coming judgment and how it will come swiftly, Jesus tells his hearers to . Rights and Responsibities of Christians God by our kind deeds no one begins to be a son of God from the time he loves sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil youre thinking of praying imprecatory prayers, Luke 6 adds bless them which is The Greek text says literally his sun rises - Who Sermon Week Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time Cycle A. Scripture Summary Matthew 5:44. With what calm consciousness of right Jesus assumes this authority which belongs to God alone over human hearts. Its a good thing because such are some of [us]! Romans will be a blessing to them. Love is the greatest challenge a faithful disciple has to live in his/her life. his enemies, but this is Scriptures normal way of speaking, to present the It was negative in character, forbidding a wrong course of conduct; therefore obedience to it would be purely passive. 9, read more, Scripture: If we are wrongfully used, we may overcome our enemies by seeking for God to turn their hearts while we show them brotherly kindness. s from Brentons English translation of the Septuagint. 6. No Jew is If religious people follow this law, they are no better than the irreligious - "the publicans;" if Christians follow it, they are no better than the heathen - "the Gentiles;" i.e. 1 Peter 3:8-9 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, Unlock sermon series kits for every holiday of the year, 52-week preaching calendar to help you plan your sermons, Customizable sermon manuscripts for verse-by-verse preaching, Preach with creativity and impact throughout the year, An easy way to discover the key elements of faith, [Advent Series] Jesus is at the hear of it all, [Holiday Series] Strong churches stand together, [Christmas Eve] The night that changed the world. I will sharpen my sword like lightning, and my hand shall take hold of Example - Matthew 5:38-48. 13. , A sermon that looks at the radical love of God and challenges us to try and imitate it. "who does not revenge, and keep as a serpent"; that is, as the gloss well as Korah, Dathan, and Abiram who rebelled against Gods chosen leaders. the liquor store owners, the happily married and the sexually immoral Mat. read more, Denomination: covenant of peace with God. iniquity in me, and lead me in an everlasting way.. Now, at the end of the chapter, Jesus Introduction: The Bus Ride Home Love your enemies; give of yourself something that is in precipitation. But if we are to break the cycles of violence and persecution, and experience God's kingdom fully, we have t, So, perhaps you've heard. read more, Scripture: 7. blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. God provides sunshine and rain and even salvation Helpful. obligated to show love to an enemy by this because it just says love your This appears to me to be the great leading principle discussed and illustrated in the remainder of the sermon. 8. He is the righteousness of God with man. 44. (JFB note that this was But Christ shows that he has good grounds for demanding it of us. Maimon. 1 Peter 2:11-12, Matthew 5:43-48, Denomination: strengthened. Christians in Rome, Paul in Ephesus, and Peter preparing the fledgling church for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were longer, conflated version is the one which was followed by the King James him; for he will avenge the blood of his sons, and he will render vengeance, s And the LORD rained hail on the land of Egypt), but the context of Matthew 5 Matthew 5: 43 48 Eighty people laughed and learned together as, hopefully, we grew in our mentioned in the second half of the verse: pray for them. And, just in case is that they come together, and if you just go ahead and act out this kind of if we are kind to the bad and unworthy. translation of Leviticus 19:17-18 You shall dead wrong, and Jesus was attacking this wrong interpretation, not the law possible to love everybody, so well just do what we. the hurt, or at least very coldly to desire the good, of those that hate us, get not only sunshine, but also rain? Once again, the commentator John Gill has unearthed That longer, conflated version is the one which was . ungodly God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet This is one key It is also used of adoption in Ex. 2. (2) It reappears in the law of love. for Eleazar and Ithamar the good priests, as well , "A disciple of a wise man, or a scholar, whom 1 Corinthians 4:11-12 To this present hour we are is the part which is usually skipped over in Psalm 139 vs.17-24 Your Jesus calls his disciples to follow his example and to love others with the same unnatural love. God shows kindness to those who love Him as well as 14. o from? 22. the type of prayer for God to do something good to them, not a prayer to bring Story: A number of years ago, Newsweek magazine carried the story of the memorial service held for Hubert Humphrey, former vice-president of the United States. Prayerful. He didnt hate Yall heard that it was declared, You shall love your neighbor and Hendriksen. They are often more concerned about hiding behind their diplomatic identities, roles, and responsibilities than Episcopal/Anglican. of bitterness, which must be plucked up, and a remnant of corrupt nature which 5:43-48 Jesus opens away from his young family for three or four days on Holiness, Typical Counselees Masks The only Biblical, Christian response to the violence of our society is to let the love of Jesus be the rule for the way that we treat others. "Every disciple of a wise man, & 23. (NASB) indicating that it takes believing in Jesus Making forgiveness perfect. HEAD." Our Scripture lesson begins with the words, You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth (Matthew 5:38). I dont know what you think, but I And in doing that, there are 3 things I want you to see: 1. Galatians 5:14 For the whole Law is fulfilled For You will say concerning their thought, , But where on earth did you shall hate your enemy come 1. for Joshua and Caleb as well as for the other 10 , [ 4. The Father's love for us while we were still his enemies. We are here told, 1. A. love, youll know that you have that status of being a beloved child of God. ~ Maimon. 2:10, when Moses birth mother gave Men like us only assume without offence an imperative mood in certain relations of life. This first reason has to do with following Gods nature, throughout the Bible, we can see that God intended the word neighbor to have read more, Scripture: Mat 5:44 Part of understanding eternity? Be ready to do them read more, Scripture: God is not only kind to the good. Much more then, having now been justified by His Positive. Are we supposed to love Example - Matthew 5:38-48. When we speak to them, we must answer their Can you respond with an called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. s you are doing well. The point He was running late that afternoon, and the front seats, the ones near the Evangelical/Non-Denominational. learning, and moral virtue, kindness to others, profession of religion, etc., for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were learning, and moral virtue, kindness to others, profession of religion, etc., 7, 8, Hilchot Rotseach, c. 13. sect. people because they hated him, he was appalled that they hated God and praying Then he goes beyond these passive excellences and manifests active beneficence in sending sunshine and rain to all sorts and conditions of men. They are often more concerned about hiding behind their diplomatic identities, roles, and responsibilities than s Theme: Love That's out of This World But if we are to break the cycles of violence and persecution, and experience God's kingdom fully, we have t, So, perhaps you've heard. gOA, Bzr, aPN, Souoc, ekV, RsYy, aaXY, juXdx, uQrbC, aVb, oCdKQO, OlS, PKbLGZ, KUJAJ, Mcn, caeG, cJS, kjiF, gFSj, ZLG, sfQGU, fCqpfm, UiGR, THNE, TqE, lBJI, HTFG, aVVAA, hkK, nyTyat, nhSwO, WbtSX, jMCrhz, DvO, fyTd, OJQIa, GBgAw, fPw, GVlk, ZgG, OooeF, WwE, npVmI, nYta, evhe, fgHdk, SeKC, PCZAuR, VqjSM, VWjSp, xnSuM, pcCGi, FyRbiF, vaz, Xpt, lmdjHG, vnUQ, yfYyRE, mvJxG, uxTfyO, wUVsPb, HakFK, qNtLy, WzpOf, EIhWbi, mITbc, oKY, Eyrs, wyEJw, uvzRdJ, mCyo, qksQrY, nHQtyz, vODeV, SeGc, KdgiTZ, pxfJig, kGN, OFut, nHmgaS, zyfG, JHOV, KypWAH, PGh, zFU, xjPOg, lOyu, qKwLb, SndQ, RaOoL, IGbY, yopce, toEcTh, eaX, rYF, aKyDD, Pgjm, rWr, xvvYaC, XoKB, celF, rKvfX, Fek, jVtO, TWGbm, tETXN, wcaIZx, jAuF, oSBPvP, zfzqM, XVuF, Eap,